    first sector of the HDD, and contains the descriptions of all that HDD's
    partitions.

    -phil

    Phil, Apr 7, 2007

  2. Journey

    Phil Guest

    That last sentence should have ended with:

    ....and contains the descriptions of all that HDD's physical (not logical)
    partitions.

    -phil

    Phil, Apr 7, 2007

  3. Journey

    pen Guest

    No your lucky. Should be fine. What works best is a scenario where
    vista is installed after XP.

    pen, Apr 7, 2007
  4. Journey

    RnR Guest

    I don't know if this will help but see April pc mag pg. 84 .

    RnR, Apr 7, 2007
  5. Journey

    RnR Guest

    Well for starters hopefully SP1 will fix the buggy installer. Usually
    SP1 has fixed bugs in each OS, nothing more.

    RnR, Apr 7, 2007
  6. Journey

    Phil Guest

    For the most part, I have not had any real problems with the installer. It's
    just the occasional problem it has recognizing "a suitable drive" when there
    are multiple drives available. Other than that, I haven't had a single
    problem with Vista, on my rig.

    If you're curious whether Vista will run smoothly on your system, you can
    try it fror free, if you you can get your hands on a Vista DVD. When
    installing, you can choose to not enter a key and activate. The resulting
    installing will be unrestricted for a period of 30 days. Also, you can reset
    this 30 day trial 3 times, by entering a short command into the run dialog:
    slmgr.vbs -rearm

    Just make sure that all your hardware has Vista drivers.

    -phil

    Phil, Apr 7, 2007
  7. Journey

    RnR Guest

    No thank you phil, I'll just wait till SP1 or later. Sounds too
    non-WOW for my needs. I guess I don't know what I'm missing or not
    missing since XP and 3rd party wares fill my needs <grin>.

    RnR, Apr 8, 2007
  8. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Phil -- your instructions worked. I took an image of Vista on Hard
    drive 2, then turned Hard drive 2 off in the bios, and did a restore
    to hard drive 3 (which had no prior OS). All drives are 250G.

    It's strange that doing a whole drive image doesn't work but the OS
    and MBR only in separate operations does.

    Thanks!

    Journey, Apr 8, 2007
  9. Journey

    Phil Guest

    Great!

    Yeah, Acronis True Image seems to have have some issues, but does the job
    very nicely, in the end. I have found that restoring is much more reliable
    and error-free when doing a single partition at a time.

    -phil

    Phil, Apr 8, 2007
  10. Journey

    Pongo Potts Guest

    I thought Acronis stated V10 was the only version compatible with
    Vista......you have not mentioned what version you used.

    Pongo Potts, Apr 8, 2007
  11. Journey

    Pongo Potts Guest

    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/company/inpress/2006/11-16-backup-application.html

    now with Vista support.............so I assume the only real compatible
    version.

    Pongo Potts, Apr 8, 2007
  12. How was this configured from the Dell factory with hard drives?
    There should have been three partitions restored - the utility
    partition first, which is around 40-50MB (I think), the main data
    partition (which is the largest), and the last partition which is the
    recovery partition and shouldn't be more than 10GB.
    My money is that Vista doesn't like the new drive because it has a
    different representation from the original configuration from Dell.
    If you were able to run the Dell restore utility, which uses Ghost,
    and then on the subsequent boot you got the EULA screen pop up, then
    the restore was successful from the partition. The fact you couldn't
    subsequently boot is probably because something has changed from the
    original configuration that Dell shipped the system with.

    Andrew.

    Andrew Hodgson, Apr 8, 2007
  13. Yes, that is weird. Are these identical drives (same manufacturer,
    size etc)? I usually restore the drive by clicking on the actual
    disk, which chooses all the relevant options for me (ticks
    everything).

    Glad you got it sorted in the end.
    Andrew.

    Andrew Hodgson, Apr 8, 2007
  14. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Yes -- it has those 3 partitions, plus the MBR. I used Acronis
    version 10. I think, even though the drives were the same size, that
    it was a configuration problem.

    The solution is in another post. I will do my backups using that
    method, but I will not rely totally on Acronis. I will also back up
    all my data using simple drag and drop to external sources.

    Journey, Apr 8, 2007
  15. Fwiw, I backup the data partition on this machine every day using
    Rsync (though this is a bit ott), then using Acronis possibly once a
    month, less if I haven't done anything too drastic to the OS.

    Thanks.
    Andrew.

    Andrew Hodgson, Apr 8, 2007
  16. Journey

    Journey Guest

    I think I am going to revisit Second Copy. I used that for a while
    but I set up a complicated scheme. I kept the original and backup in
    sync, but in order to protect against accidental mass deletion I had
    to specify a 3rd location where deleted files would go. I wanted to
    avoid lengthy mass copies between a hard disk and an external one.

    I will look at Rsync -- I think that's open source so it might be
    interesting to try.

    Journey, Apr 9, 2007
  17. Never used Second Copy, Rsync is very good, but remember if you delete
    the files from the source, they are removed from the target if you ask
    it to mirror the source. Here I Rsync up to a Linux box and the Rsync
    is done at the Linux end, but I have a Rsync running via CWRsync at
    work and both using Windows boxes. I also use this to mirror my MP3
    player, because I am fed up of adding tracks to my MP3 directory, then
    forgetting to copy a specific directory to the player (as I don't want
    to copy the whole 40gb or so each time).

    Another option which I also use at work (because it handles
    permissions better) is the free Robocopy from the Windows resource
    kit. It has the /mir option, which is equivalent to the --delete
    options in Rsync. It does however transfer the complete changed file
    to the destination if it has been changed, unlike Rsync, which only
    transfers the specific bytes that have changed from the last copy.

    Andrew.

    Andrew Hodgson, Apr 9, 2007
  18. Journey

    Otto Sykora Guest

    Yes, what version of Acronis you use?

    Recently , my boss reported to me, that he had also problems restoring
    images done with acronis 8 and 9. All got messed up.

    After taking acronis 10 (think it is the latest) all does work as
    expected.

    However: even with any other similar tool (like ghost or drive image)
    , restoring more then one bootable and at the time of the restore
    operation not hidden partition will cause problems. After restoring
    system partition 1, one has to care this one is hidden and not seen as
    boot system when restoring the other one.

    Otto Sykora, Apr 11, 2007