    The AD11 board has an XP 1400, but when started up for the 1st time it beeps
    continually and hangs. If I press the reset, everything works fine.
    This happens every time I start it. Can anyone help?

    Wolf, Jan 13, 2004

  2. According to the FIC FAQ for the AD11, only version 1.2A supports the Athlon XP
    Palomino core. Earlier versions only support the Thunderbird Athlons.

    http://www.fica.com/site/html/services/faq_detail.asp?c_id=240000137

    My old Abit KT7-RAID had the same problem. Apparently, there is a slight
    difference in the cold boot timing between the Thunderbird and Palomino cores.
    When the Palomino CPUs came out, some existing motherboards could not handle
    this timing difference, and thus, the computer hangs when you first turn it on.
    However, once you hit the reset button, the computer will run just fine.

    Unfortunately, this is an electrical problem, so a simple BIOS flash cannot
    correct it. Many motherboard makers developed new revisions of their
    motherboards to fix this problem.

    If you can live with the hassle of having to hit the reset button every time you
    first turn on the computer, then do not worry about it. Your computer should
    run just fine, otherwise.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Wolf

    Wolf Guest

    Thanks for the response. Actually the board belongs to a friend of mine. He
    has 2 identical boards with the same CPU. I'll have to get in touch with him
    to see if both boards are affected and what revision the boards are.

    Wolf, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Wolf

    Wolf Guest

    I have checked with the user of the board. He has two boards with identical
    CPU's one works OK and the other exhibits the beeping symptoms.

    Wolf, Jan 17, 2004
  5. Hmmm. I am not sure what to say at this point. The problem I refer to could
    have been a hit-or-miss type problem. That is, some motherboards would not
    have any problems, but other "identical" motherboards would. I never really
    tried an Athlon XP on that old motherboard, though, so I do not have first hand
    experience with the problem -- only what I have read.

    I guess another possibility is something like the graphics card not getting the
    right startup voltage. I really do not know, though.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Jan 19, 2004
  6. Wolf

    Wolf Guest

    My friend has told me that it's an Athlon 1400, not an XP. And he's also
    said that one of his CD drives is bad. Perhaps it's causing the problem. He
    is going to get a new drive.
    In any event, his last ten boots have been OK but he tells me on the next
    five the board might start acting up. Weird. Could he pull all his cards and
    drives except the video and HD plus floppy and try it this way? . If it's
    the video card, it would show up this way and he could try another card
    temporarily from his other system. Simplify and try to isolate? Thanks for
    the help

    Wolf, Jan 21, 2004
  7. OK, forget the deal about the Athlon XP, then. ;-) Actually, pulling out the
    system components to strip down to the bare minimum is exactly what I would
    suggest. Try that and see how it goes.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Jan 22, 2004