    The Adaptec website only lists OSX 10.1.x and 10.2.x, but I assume it
    will work with OSX 10.4.

    Any thoughts.

    Ian, Apr 8, 2007

  2. Ian

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    Adaptec seems to have abandoned the Mac market. I'd be very cautious about
    buying any Adaptec hardware. It might work, it might not, and if it works, it
    might stop working with future OS upgrades, and you will have no support.

    This is what happened with their SCSI cards.

    J.J. O'Shea, Apr 8, 2007

  3. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Can you recommend any brands?
    I thought it would be better to stay away from the generic re-badged
    card and thought Adaptec would be pretty good
    as it's a brand name.
    As this card is discontinued, the drivers may only work up to OSX 10.2.
    From what I understand, I should get a USB card with an NEC chipset,
    (which the Adaptec card has), and to avoid cards
    with VIA chipsets, is this correct.

    Ian, Apr 9, 2007
  4. I found this list to be helpful:

    I'd purchased a Sonnet Allegro USB 2.0 PCI card and it gave me "data
    underrun errors" when trying to synch with my iPod. I replaced it with
    an IOGear card from Apple's list and it works just fine.

    Michael Vilain, Apr 9, 2007
  5. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Yeah, the IOGear GIC251U seems to be the way to go, although I can't
    find any stores here in Australia that have them.
    I've emailed IOGear and asked for their Australian distributor,
    otherwise I'll have to order from the US.

    Cheers

    Ian, Apr 10, 2007
  6. Ian

    Ian Guest

    I have seen a lot of USB 2.0 PCI cards that say they are Mac
    compatible, but they always say OSX 10.1 and 10.2,
    no mention of 10.3 and 10.4.

    I've just been looking at a Sunix 1074NC card with NEC chipset, but
    after downloading the drivers, I found that the
    zip file only contains drivers for OSX 10.1 and OSX 10.2, so from what
    you say, this also probably won't work with Tiger.

    http://www.sunix.com.tw/it/en/Product_Detail.php?cate=2&class_a_id=34&sid=2

    The other thread in this group recommends the IOGear GIC251U,
    unfortunately this card is not available in Australia
    and I cannot even order it from the US as online stores like Amazon and
    NewEgg won't ship this card overseas.

    Ian, Apr 11, 2007
  7. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Thanks for the replies, I have just bought a USB 2.0 PCI card on eBay,
    (Sunix 1074NC) which
    has an NEC chipset as is Mac OSX compatible, and is said to work with
    OSX 10.4, so will wait
    and see if it does when I receive it.

    Ian, Apr 15, 2007