    mode-2) ribbon cable of a regular cabinet model PC to the HDD of a 2002
    Hewlett-Packard laptop model (HDD probably manufactured by Fujitsu)? If
    so, then who has them for sale?

    Knack, Sep 30, 2003

  2. Knack

    Rod Speed Guest

    http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108

    Rod Speed, Sep 30, 2003

  3. At least today, compgeeks has an out-of-stock message. Another source is
    your local CompUSA store. It's on the accessories rack with temp sensors
    and IDE cables. Their price, when I bought one several months ago, was
    $4.95 in the store.

    Terry Stockdale, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Knack

    jm.mercy Guest

    jm.mercy, Oct 20, 2003
  5. Knack

    Rich Johnson Guest

    So where would you put the hard disk?? You would be better off getting a
    USB hard disk unit if you wanted additional storage.

    Rich Johnson, Oct 20, 2003
  6. Knack

    Rod Speed Guest

    What is the point ? You'd likely have to make one
    yourself because the demand would be so low.

    Not that hard, the first one is usually
    just a pair of connectors on a small pcb.

    Rod Speed, Oct 20, 2003
  7. Knack

    jm.mercy Guest

    What is the point ? You'd likely have to make one
    You are both right for the low market. There may (are! I have one)
    be reasons for connecting temporarily a regular hard disk then
    removing it. I have for example a laptop without screen that I
    plan to use as a firewall/router at home. No need for screen and
    an old 3.5' IDE disk is enough. I would remove it for a live cd
    once I am done with the setup and do not want to buy a 2.5' disk
    just for that purpose. Wiring is fine except for the cost of the
    small connectors themselves.

    jm.mercy, Oct 21, 2003
  8. Knack

    Bob Kos Guest

    wrote in message ...
    I'm wondering about power supply to a 3.5 drive. The laptop drives draw so
    little current that they can be fed through a delicate laminated printed
    circuit film. 3.5's on the other hand require the conventional hard wired
    molex power connector. I realize that the molex can be rewired, but I'm
    guessing that it is that heavy for a reason.

    Just a thought.

    BTW - I can loan a small 2.5 if it will help.

    Bob Kos, Oct 23, 2003
  9. Knack

    Rod Speed Guest

    Well, the molex has been there for well over a decade now,
    from way back when hard drives had monster spinup currents.

    Its possible that the laminated flexible pcb is
    a bit marginal for a 3.5" drive power line tho.

    Rod Speed, Oct 25, 2003