Adapting Inspiron 500m to run 2 x 20" monitors

Discussion in 'Dell' started by MegA, Jul 20, 2008.

  1. MegA


    Jul 20, 2008
    Likes Received:
    Hello everyone

    I want to add 2 x 20" Dell monitors (Ultrasharp 2009W) to my set up, running them off my old Inspiron 500m. This had a new hard disk from Dell just before the 4 yr warranty ran out, and I upgraded the RAM to 1.25GB at the same time, so I don't want to ditch it just yet. Dell haven't been much help explaining how to do it, because they obviously want to sell me a new computer as well!

    Has anyone done this? The following information might be helpful to techies out there:

    1. The computer has USB 2.0 functionality, so would it be possible to do it using some kind of USB video adaptor? If so, can anyone tell me exactly what I should get?

    2. The computer has its video hardward integrated with the motherboard, and I would be concerned about possible conflicts if I added an advanced video card, but someone might know about compatibility issues. The details of what the computer has are as follows:
    Video type - Intel UMA integrated; Video controller - Intel 855GM integrated chip set; Video memory - 32MB if < 256, 64MP if > or = 256; LCD interface - LVDS; TV support - NTSC or PAL in S-vdeo and composite modes.
    I understand that there are cards out there which chew up 512MB of RAM and have dual monitor capacity. Would one of these be compatible? Where would I add it to the computer? I have a vacant PCMCI slot, but I understand that that sort of slot is now old technology. I can increase the RAM to 2.0GB if necessary to drive an advanced card if it is compatible with my computer.

    I am located in the UK, so if any kit is only available in the US, I would need to buy it from someone who ships internationally.

    I hope someone can help me.

    Many thanks

    MegA, Jul 20, 2008
Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.