Add memory?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Puddin' Man, Nov 4, 2012.

  1. Puddin' Man

    Puddin' Man Guest

    I currently have:
    Ordered/installed 05-2010:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
    F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=222

    Frys has:
    DDR3 4GB (2X2GB) 1333MHz LLK DUAL Channel Kit Patriot PVV34G1333LLK
    Mfr: Patriot Model: PVV34G1333LLK
    FRYS.com #6027398 UPC: 879699009133
    Patriot Viper II Sector 5 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop
    Memory Model PVV34G1333LLK
    4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Desktop Memory for $9.99 (After $15 MIR) + $2.99 Shipping

    What implications (if any) are involved in adding Frys 4gb Patriot modules to
    my Asus P7H55D-M EVO board?

    Thx,

    Puddin' Man, Nov 4, 2012

  2. Puddin' Man

    Paul Guest

    What OS is being used ? Is it 32 bit or 64 bit ?

    I assume you know you need a 64 bit OS, to break the Windows 4GB memory license.

    http://www.geoffchappell.com/notes/windows/license/memory.htm

    Also, I want to double check your configuration. The motherboard
    has four slots. You currently have 1x4GB module or 2x4GB modules ?

    http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-131-625-04.jpg

    Intel Flex memory allows supporting a 1x4GB + 2x2GB configuration
    if you want. You put the 1x4GB module on one channel, and the 2x2GB
    sticks on the other channel. The total memory on both channels
    is matched. The system total is 8GB, suitable for a 64 bit OS to use.

    (Since Intel put the memory interface on the processor, I no longer
    have access to definitive memory controller feature set information.
    I have to use generic pages like the following one, and assume the
    Intel Flex feature present on previous chipsets, has been copied
    into the processor designs. I don't know this for a fact, but
    assume the feature was copied. Flex memory config, is for
    handling odd-ball DIMM combinations.)

    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-011965.htm

    The memory will be operated at the slowest speed of the assembled
    collection of DIMMs. Faster DIMMs can be operated at a slower speed,
    so the speed is not fixed.

    Implications - doing whatever is required, to maintain dual channel
    operating conditions... Matches pairs are best, when information lacks.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 4, 2012

  3. Puddin' Man

    Puddin' Man Guest

    I should've mentioned: Win7 HP-64 and XP in dual-boot.
    I know, I know. I use mostly XP, don't like 7, but, for what? $13
    I feel the desktop will be better balanced with 8gb total. The
    64 bit OS is there for me to run whenever I choose.
    Neither. 2x2GB modules comprising 4gb. and occupying only 2 slots.
    You were good enough to point this out to me many months ago.
    A most reasonable assumption, methinks.
    That's part of what I was trying to get at.

    http://www.frys.com/product/6027398

    My old Ripjaws memory: Speed DDR3-1600 (PC3 12800)
    The prospective Patriot stuff: Speed DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

    Assuming that all 4 dimm slots are populated with balanced 2gb modules,
    the resultant 8gb aggregate would run (dual channel) at the reduced speed of
    the Patriot cheapo, DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666). Right?
    I don't think there are any balance etc questions, but I don't know if
    it's such a good idea to constrain my speed of memory. Perhaps I should
    wait for similar prices on DDR3-1600 (PC3 12800) or faster mem.

    Thx,

    Puddin' Man, Nov 4, 2012
  4. Puddin' Man

    Paul Guest

    2x2GB DDR3 1333 + 2x2GB DDR3 1600 = 8GB total running at DDR3-1333.

    And running in dual channel mode.

    I don't expect a problem these days. There were some cranky S939 boards
    many moons ago, but those were fixed by BIOS updates. For the most
    part, the BIOS does a good job of figuring the stuff out.

    2x2GB + 2x2GB, in the nice colored slots, should be a breeze to
    get running.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 4, 2012