Added 1 Gig Mem Stick in Tecra S1, It Gets Very Hot and Locks up

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by John Harlow, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    Hi:

    I recently replaced a 1/4 gig stick in my Tecra S1 with a 1 gig stick.
    I noticed that the machine seemed to run a lot hotter. After about a
    week, it started locking up. If the machine was cold it took about
    30-40 minutes to lock up. If it was warm about 6-8 minutes.

    I run both Linux and XP on the box (on separate HDs) and the behavior
    tracks with either OS although it seems to take a few extra minutes
    for the XP to lock-up (probably because the ACPI under linux is weak
    on this box.)

    First I tried reseating everything, but that didn't help. Today I
    pulled out the 1 gig stick and it ran fine all afternoon (and so far
    this evening.)

    Here are some questions...

    1.) does anyone out there have an S1 running well with a 1 gig stick?
    2.) if so, does it run a lot hotter?
    3.) does this just sound like a bad stick?

    Thanks
    John

    John Harlow, Feb 17, 2004

  2. John Harlow

    Ohaya Guest

    John,

    The first thing that I'd do is try running a standalone memory test with the
    1G memory. You can try memtest (http://www.memtest86.com/) or Doc Memory
    (http://www.simmtester.com). Both are free, and you'll need to create a
    bootable floppy. I mostly use Doc Memory, but you have at least these 2
    choices :).

    You didn't mention what brand memory you had, but I've noted that Toshiba
    always recommends Kingston memory for their laptops.

    Ohaya, Feb 23, 2004