Added a Zalman chipset cooler

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Doug V, Jul 7, 2007.

  1. Doug V

    Doug V Guest

    I have a MSI K8NGM2-FID MB in a Siverstone SG01 case, stock AMD 3500+
    cooler. I was running 64 degrees C on my NB chipset and the system and cpu
    were in the high 30s.

    I was very concerned with the NB temp and decided to replace it with a
    Zalman NB47J.
    I put the original NB fanless heatsink on the southbridge.

    I had to take the MB from the case and doing so cleaned up all the fans, cpu
    heatsink, and power supply.
    I then replaced all the thermal grease with arctic silver. The machine had
    been in use for over a year.

    The result is that I reduced all temps.

    The Zalman reduced NB temp 15 to 20 degrees to ~35 degrees and the cpu and
    system temps are in the low 30s.
    These temps are not scientific just observation.

    I thought I'd pass this along.

    Doug V, Jul 7, 2007