    fine and recognizes HDDs and CD-RW, DVD-RW, but restarts itself when it
    should be loading/starting win xp...? I am trying to avoid re-installing
    xp. Anyone have an answer?

    Rob Larzelere, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Probably it's hitting an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error since the driver
    for the disk controller is not installed. You could try booting from the
    XP CD and doing a repair install..

    To avoid this, beforehand one can change the driver being used for the
    disk controller to the standard PCI IDE controller one, which should
    work on the new board as well..

    Robert Hancock, Jan 3, 2005

  3. I should add that after the BOIS POST, i get the windows screen that lists
    start up options such as safe mode, last known good config, etc.... When i
    select safe mode, the screen begins to display a list of drivers being
    loaded, and then the system restarts. When normal mode is selected, the
    system just immediately restarts. If this still appears to be fixed by your
    suggestion of changing
    disk controller driver, could you tell me how to go about that--thx

    Rob Larzelere, Jan 3, 2005
  4. That would have to have been done before you moved the install over to
    the new board. At this point, you'll likely have to try a repair install.

    Robert Hancock, Jan 3, 2005
  5. Rob Larzelere

    CaptBaldo Guest

    I had the same problem occur with my P4P800S and a P4 3.20E. First time
    would get to windows xp logo then rebooted then I would get safe mode or
    normal mode and constant reboots. What caused the problem on my board was
    the fact that the heatsink was on the processor too tight. Simply removing
    the heatsink and putting it back on finally allowed my system to run
    properly. Putting my heatsink on the second time went much easier then the
    first time. Now this may be a longshot for you, but symptoms are the same
    as mine were so I suggest you try this first before attempting a repair
    install. Hope I was able to help.

    CaptBaldo

    CaptBaldo, Jan 4, 2005