Adding a hard drive to a GX 280

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Michael, Jun 16, 2006.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I need more hard disk space, and I wonder if my GX 280
    can hand a 500 gig hard drive. Here's the specs:

    From the Manufacturer
    Seagate 500 GB Internal Ultra ATA/100 16 MB Cache Hard Drive. Seagate Barracuda drives provide high-performance, highly-reliable
    storage for PCs and advanced applications, backed up by an industry-leading five-year warranty. Their best-in-class combination of
    capacity, performance, and support ideally suit them for such applications as high-performance PCs, media PCs, ATA-based servers and
    RAIDs, and cost-effective network attached storage (NAS).
    Features
    RoHS Compliant: Meets or exceeds all current and proposed environmental standards and legislation
    350 Gs non-operating shock: Protection against handling damage
    16 MB Cache: Provides the highest performance with increased data bursting through the interface
    2.8 bels idle, 3.2 bels seek acoustics: Super-quiet drive is almost inaudible. Difference between idle and seek can hardly be
    detected by human ear, making drive operation almost silent
    3-D Defense System: Industry's most comprehensive drive and data protection system
    7,200 RPM: Higher performance and data through-put
    63 Gs operating shock: Robust product for challenging applications

    Will this work in a GX 280? Will this fit?

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Michael, Jun 16, 2006

  2. Michael

    Tom Scales Guest

    My GX260 supports large drives, so your GX280 should too. As for fit, if
    you have the standard Small Tower or even the Small Form factor, it should
    fit. If you have the Ultra SFF, I don't know.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jun 16, 2006

  3. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Thanks, Tom. The box doesn't seem unsually large or small -- right
    now it has a couple of half-height DVD drives, a floppy drive, and
    an internal hard drive.

    Mike

    Michael, Jun 16, 2006
  4. Michael

    Tom Scales Guest

    Should work just fine. You'll want XP SP2 if you don't already have it, but
    other than that, enjoy your space

    Tom
    who has 2.5TB in his home :)

    Tom Scales, Jun 16, 2006
  5. Michael

    Michael Guest

    That's a massive amount of space! I do a lot of video so I need the
    space. I'm also adding a 500 gig drive to my linux server. Then I'll
    be all set for a while.

    Michael, Jun 16, 2006