    place now). I don't now which size I'll take yet, will depend on the
    price.

    Thks in advance, Jeff

    Jeff, Nov 22, 2006

  2. Jeff

    Tom Scales Guest

    Which 8200? Dimension 8200 or Inspiron 8200

    For a Dimension, you want an IDE (PATA) 3.5" Drive

    For an Inspiron, you want a 9.5" high 2.5" Drive

    Tom Scales, Nov 22, 2006

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Tom Scales wrote:

    Yes, that's a Dimension 8200. Thks.
    Now, I've to find the green stuffs (rails ?) I should have got them
    at the time of purchase my PC

    Thks Tom.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Nov 22, 2006
  4. Jeff

    Ben Myers Guest

    Doesn't the computer have a couple of pairs of spare green rails attached to the
    inside of the chassis? If not, they are fairly inexpensive on eBay... Ben
    Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 22, 2006
  5. Have you already used the extras included in the D8200 case.

    The 4xxx/8xxx series included rails for all of the drive bays
    mounted in odd places depending on the specific model. IIRC, the
    extras on my D4400 were mounted on the inside of the front of the
    case. Again, IIRC, the location was pointed out both in that big
    quick set-up cheat sheet and in the user manual.

    Ogden Johnson III, Nov 22, 2006
  6. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    De Ben Myers :
    Yes Ben, it has. Thks
    Jeff

    Jeff, Nov 22, 2006
  7. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    De Ogden Johnson III :
    No. I did not see them, thks
    Jeff

    Jeff, Nov 22, 2006
  8. That is a standard IDE drive; I'd get a 250 to 320GB 3.5" drive. Update
    the BIOS to the latest version BEFORE you install the new drive. Since
    that drive is larger than 137GB, if you are not running Windows XP SP2,
    there could be some OS issues. In the US, with careful shopping, you
    can get a 250 to 320GB drive for about $100, perhaps less (especially
    this coming weekend).

    Barry Watzman, Nov 22, 2006
  9. 3.5" pata / ata / ide type drive. just not the sata / serial ata type.
    note that some drives have more on board cache than others. so if you see
    the same capacity drive from the same manufacuture for less look more
    closely as it may be a version with less integrated cache.
    if you are willing to get up early on friday morning (6am) then staples will
    have a 200gb maxtor for just $19.99 after rebate.
    here are dell's direction on how to physically install the drive:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/replace.htm#1102155
    "HINT: Two sets of rails are attached to the inside of the computer cover.
    Use the two longer rails on 5.25-inch drives. Use the shorter rails for
    3.5-inch drives. Rails for a second hard drive are attached inside the
    hard-drive bay."

    Christopher Muto, Nov 22, 2006
  10. I'm sure you meant 9.5mm, not 9.5" (unless he's has an enormous laptop).

    Sparky Spartacus, Nov 22, 2006
  11. Maxtor? I'll pass on that, thanks anyway.

    Sparky Spartacus, Nov 22, 2006
  12. Jeff

    Tom Scales Guest

    Darn metric.

    Althought it would probably fit in my Inspiron 9300. That thing is huge!

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 23, 2006
  13. Jeff

    Ben Myers Guest

    Maxtor? Bleah!!!! ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 23, 2006
  14. Jeff

    Ben Myers Guest

    Almost as big as the old-timey removable canister disk drives which topped out
    at nearly 1GB... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 23, 2006
  15. Jeff

    Pat Conover Guest

    Pat Conover, Nov 23, 2006
  16. Jeff

    Pat Conover Guest

    Or Best Buy 5AM-12 Noon on Black Friday 250GB Seagate IDE 16MB cache Retail
    drive, 5-year warranty for $60. :)

    Pat Conover, Nov 23, 2006
  17. Jeff

    Ben Myers Guest

    Seagate. Not bleah!!! ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 23, 2006
  18. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    De Barry Watzman :
    Thks to every body who responded: I think I'll have a 250Gb. Do you
    really think I need to update the Bios ? (I'm at A09, that will be 80 +
    250 = 330 Go; is too much ?

    As far as the pice is concerned, I'll certainlly won't get your prices
    as I'm from France -((

    Jeff, Nov 23, 2006
  19. The issue is not the size of total memory, it's the size of individual
    drives. There used to be a barrier at 137GB that, on some systems,
    required a BIOS upgrade to circumvent. I don't know specifically about
    the 8200, but it would be a good idea, just in general principle, to
    update to the latest bios at this point (given the age of the system).

    [Actually, there are some big hard drives that will be available
    tomorrow for as little as $19 [US]. Tomorrow is "Black Friday", our day
    of national shopping hysteria (you would not believe what goes on ....
    most stores open at 5am, incredible deals, but it's a total zoo ....)]

    Barry Watzman, Nov 23, 2006
  20. Jeff

    Steve W. Guest

    A09 is the latest BIOS for the 8200