Adding IDE secondary drive to DELL8330 with PRIMARY SATA DRIVE

Discussion in 'Dell' started by drcwks, May 14, 2006.

  1. drcwks

    drcwks Guest

    Hi,
    It' been a while since I have added a NEW drive to a computer. I'm adding
    one to my mom's and I didn't realize her DELL 8300 had a SATA drive. I WANT
    to use the
    WD IDE drive as a data drive. I'm used to using cable select (jumper
    settings) on just the IDE drives.

    Questions....

    1). I installed the drive and haven't formatted yet. I assumed I had to turn
    the drive on in the bios first before the computer would see another drive.
    Is that correct?

    2) I did read that SATA drives DON"T use jumper settings so I wasn't sure
    how to ensure that the SATA drive was the bootable drive as normal. Cable
    select didn't work so I tried
    to change the setup in the drives as secondary drive slave. When I booted up
    I get an error message saying DRIVE 0 NOT FOUND. I then changed the bios to
    Primary drive and rebooted and get the
    error message DRIVE 1 not found.

    3) CAN BOTH DRIVES CO_EXIST like I described? Is the whole problem being
    the NEW HD is not formatted yet? If so....how do I configured the bios to
    the above settings that I want?

    Thanks for your help.

    Dean

    drcwks, May 14, 2006

  2. As I understand it, you should leave the SATA drive connected as it
    was--when both a SATA and a PATA drive are present the 8300 will default
    to the SATA(the SATA will be the boot drive). You need to format the WD
    IDE drive, put its jumper in cable select position, attach to end of the
    cable(if that doesn't do it attach it to the middle connector of the cable).

    Ken

    Kenneth J. Harris, May 16, 2006