    updated but now that I have spare bucks I think I'll improve the hardware.

    I see vast amounts of RAM available on EBay pretty cheap too.

    Joe

    Joe, Jun 22, 2011

  2. Joe

    Steve W. Guest

    They don't have to be the same size but they do need to be the same speed.

    Steve W., Jun 22, 2011

  3. Joe

    Pen Guest

    Be careful. You need pc800-40ns not 45ns. A lot of what is
    offered is 45ns.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim8200/specs.htm#1102365

    Pen, Jun 22, 2011
  4. Joe

    Ben Myers Guest

    If the CPU in your 8200 has a 400MHz front side bus, you can get away
    with 800-45 speed. That's probably what the CPU is. When Dell did
    the marginally different 8250, they kicked up the supported FSB speed
    to 533MHz, which requires either 800-40 or 1066-33.

    Pairs of RDRAM must be matched, but you can install different matched
    pairs... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 23, 2011
  5. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Pen, that web page says "40 ns or faster"--- does a larger number, say 45,
    mean is faster or slower?

    Joe, Jun 23, 2011
  6. Joe

    Joe Guest

    the detail sheet that came with it says it's a "...8200 Series, Pentium 4 at
    2.26 GHz" and it came with "512 PC800 RDRAM"

    the manual says it can use
    "non-ECC or ECC ..... 40 ns or faster"

    So, I shouldn't have to worry about this? how do I find out which side bus I
    have?

    I had a email discussion a few years ago with a store selling RAM, he asked
    my service tag number, when I gave him that he said the machine is a 2.26
    Ghz 533 FSB

    so, regarding the speed, does this mean 45 ns is slower than 40? thus I
    can't use 45?

    I was going to order from that online store until I thought I'd check out
    EBay where I found lower prices.
    Joe

    Joe, Jun 23, 2011
  7. Joe

    Joe Guest

    yuh, the sales slip does say the original are PC800, and as Steve W. said,
    all 4 must be the same speed? But how do I find out if the original are 40
    or 45?

    Joe, Jun 23, 2011
  8. Joe

    Joe Guest

    when I entered my service tag number on Dell's web site I got a different
    URL than you show below, Pen:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/specs.htm#1102296

    now, strangely, that says memory must be "PC800 (non-ECC)" and it says 40 ns
    or faster, but ask I suggested earlier, I don't really know if a larger
    number means faster or slower

    even though my manual says non ECC or ECC

    Joe, Jun 23, 2011
  9. Joe

    Bob Villa Guest

    Same as if it were minutes or seconds...higher is longer (slower).

    Bob Villa, Jun 23, 2011
  10. Joe

    Ben Myers Guest

    With the 2.26GHz CPU and 533MHz front side bus, you need PC800-40
    RAMBUS memory. PC800-40 is faster than PC800-45, and the latter will
    not work properly with the CPU in your system... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 25, 2011
  11. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Well, I got in the new RDRAM and it ain't working right. I did order the
    PC800-40. What happens is that when I install it in the second set of slots
    (RIMM3 + RIMM4) the system will not boot up- I get "post error" beeping.

    I then removed my original memory and put the new memory in RIMM1 + RIMM2
    and put the "continuity modules" back in RIMM3 + RIMM4- and the computer
    booted up fine- so the new memory works fine by itself. I then tried leaving
    the new memory in RIMM1 + RIMM2 then put the old memory in RIMM3 + RIMM4 and
    the system doesn't come up, same post error beeping. So, the new memory
    works but not with the old memory. I emailed the company I purchased the
    memory from via EBay to see what they say. It was cheap enough so this isn't
    a catastrophe- I just want to get it all working.

    Or do I need to do something to make the computer recognize the new memory?
    I'm still running XP. I would have thought it would be recognized
    automatically.
    Joe

    Joe, Jun 25, 2011
  12. what version of the bios do you have?
    the latest bios is version a09. in a05 the added "5. Alter code to
    verify that only supported RIMMs are used with correct CPUs.
    A 533 FSB CPU requires 800-40ns memory" and probably did other things
    regarding memory since.
    what message is indicated by the diagnostic lamps when the system is
    hung with both sets of modules installed.

    Christopher Muto, Jun 28, 2011
  13. Joe

    Ben Myers Guest

    Joe,

    What you have done seems to conform to the RDRAM rules stated on the
    Dell web site for the 8200:

    "The only two valid memory configurations are:

    A pair of matched memory modules installed in connectors RIMM1 and
    RIMM2 with continuity modules installed in connectors RIMM3 and RIMM4

    or

    A pair of matched memory modules installed in connectors RIMM1 and
    RIMM2 and another matched pair installed in connectors RIMM3 and
    RIMM4."

    Like any other memory, you just install it. Nothing else needs to be
    done except to verify that the memory is installed via the BIOS setup
    screens. No changes to Windows required.

    See if there is some dust or dirt in the memory slots. Otherwise, I
    can't understand why each pair would work solo, but not together.
    What are their capacities? Is the new pair an identical set? ... Ben
    Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 29, 2011