    It is safe to consider me a dummy when it comes to doing anything with this
    machine but I am reasonably competatnt and willing to have a go.

    Thanks

    Sam, Dec 12, 2003

  2. If it has 32MB, both memory slots should be open. You can add up to a pair
    of low-density 128 MByte DIMMs to it.

    If you buy RAM from Crucial, it's guaranteed to work, and will come with
    installation instructions (www.crucial.com).

    Edward J. Neth, Dec 13, 2003

  3. Sam

    Scott Guest

    Sam,

    It's simply a matter of removing the screws from the latch covering the RAM
    (on the bottom of the chassis). You can see how the existing RAM is
    installed. Just pop the latch on both ends to remove and/or install the RAM
    module(s). Carefully wiggle the module out (or in). Avoid static electricity.

    Scott

    Scott, Dec 13, 2003
  4. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Thanks.
    What are DIMMs?

    How do I access the memory slots to know what will fit?

    Sam, Dec 13, 2003
  5. Sam

    PC Gladiator Guest

    See "Bottom Release Latches and memory bay" section.
    http://support.gateway.com/support/manlib/Notebooks/Solo2500/8502653/INDEX.HTM

    What is a DIMM:
    http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.asp?qid=3685

    Yours takes SO-DIMM:
    http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.asp?qid=3710

    Your system specs:
    http://support.gateway.com/support/manlib/Notebooks/Solo2500/8504716/index.htm

    Main memory: Two SO-DIMM sockets accept 16, 32, 64, or 128 MB SDRAM modules.

    TFT panel-equipped chassis has 32 MB RAM onboard with two additional RAM
    slots. Expandable to 288 MB.

    HPA panel-equipped chassis has no on-board memory. Expandable to 256 MB RAM.

    Crucial memory:

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...at=RAM&model=Solo+2500+Series&submit=Go#specs

    PC Gladiator, Dec 13, 2003
  6. Sam

    PC Gladiator Guest

    PC Gladiator, Dec 13, 2003
  7. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Thanks. This gives me an idea about what I am looking for.

    Sam, Dec 13, 2003
  8. Sam

    Whelan Guest

    It's very easy.
    I added RAM to this model a few years ago, now have 192.
    Crucial will sell you the right thing if you just give them the correct
    model number. Just follow the simple cautions others have mentioned.

    Whelan, Dec 17, 2003