    drive, to be used for data, but XP won't recognixe it. I got the Silicon
    SATA driver, but am not sure what to do with it, or wheter it is needed.
    I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you very much!

    jmvcq, Oct 18, 2004

  2. jmvcq

    Azaran2003 Guest

    I have an A7N8X-E board with WinXP on an IDE drive. I installed a SATA
    Yes you will need the driver. In the file you downloaded (presumably from
    Asus's driver download area) there should be a setup exe file. Double click on
    that and it should do its thing. You'll probably have to reboot, if windows
    will find the drive. If it doesnt find it go to control panel, then
    Administrative tools, then Computer management, then storage, then disk
    managment and you can set up partions/format from there.

    Good luck
    ~A

    Azaran2003, Oct 18, 2004

  3. jmvcq

    jmvcq Guest

    The SATA driver package consists of 8 files, with extensions .cat, .cpl,
    ..inf, .oem, .sys, .sys, .txt, .vxd. The two readable ones seem to be
    oriented to installing the Sil RAID controller card, and therefore not
    aplicable here. Of the others, I could not determine which one is the
    loader.

    However since I wrote the post I played around some more, and now it looks
    like the problem may be within XP. So I wrote another post, which should
    be right after this one.

    Regards, Jim

    jmvcq, Oct 19, 2004
  4. XP works just fine with sata / pata mixed. I'm running on one right now BUT
    you probably need to be at SP1. I don't know the A7N board but the A7V600
    has a Bios setting and a jumper if I remember rightly.

    notritenoteri, Oct 19, 2004