adding second hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Craig Callinan, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. Instead of transfer 15 Gig of data from an old Dell computer to a new one, I
    decided to just move the drive over in a master/slave set up. I'm pretty
    sure I have everything connected the right way (master drive connect to the
    end of the cable, slave in the middle, drives jumpered correctly), but
    Windows XP doesn't see the drive. Except for the size, both drives are
    identical Maxtor drives. The BIOS does appear to recognize it. Is there
    something else I need to do in Windows XP?

    Thanks, craig

    Here are the BIOS details:

    Primary

    Drive 0: Auto EIDE Drive 20419

    Drive 1: Auto EIDE Drive 10000

    Integrated Devices:

    IDE Hard Disk: Auto

    Craig Callinan, Apr 15, 2005

  2. You need to set one as master & the other as slave by using the jumpers.
    Or, you can set each as master on its own controller, but then you will have
    to configure the cd drives, if you have them connected.

    WT

    Wayne Tiffany, Apr 15, 2005

  3. Craig Callinan

    Rick Wintjen Guest

    Have you tried opening opening the Computer Management Control Panel and
    scanning for hardware changes?

    Rick Wintjen, Apr 15, 2005
  4. Craig Callinan

    DaveW Guest

    If you change the motherboard that is being used with a harddrive with
    Windows on it (which you have), then you MUST reformat the harddrive and do
    a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you run into endless problems like you
    are seeing.

    DaveW, Apr 15, 2005
  6. Craig Callinan

    LQQK Guest

    Can you do a "reinstall" of the OS (XP pro) thereby saving the file
    structure?

    LQQK, Apr 21, 2005
  7. Craig Callinan

    GEO Me Guest

    You *don't* have to reformat the drive. If you want to confirm
    this, ask in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt and/or
    alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt where this question gets asked regularly.

    Geo

    GEO Me, Apr 21, 2005