    GoldTrade Guest

    In Mac there is an address book. Can this address book be used in
    Microsoft Office for Mac?

    GoldTrade, May 11, 2004

  2. GoldTrade

    Thomas Reed Guest

    Used for what, exactly?

    Thomas Reed, May 11, 2004

  3. Goldie wants to put his/her own address in there so he/she doesn't
    forget where to go to go home after a hard day's posting at the local
    internet cafe.

    Clarance H. Balwebber, May 11, 2004
  4. GoldTrade

    Edwin Guest

    I would assume he wants to import the address book into MS Office.

    Edwin, May 11, 2004
  5. GoldTrade

    Thomas Reed Guest

    Into what? MS Office isn't just one simple app, you know. Does he
    want to insert an address from the Address Book into a letter in a Word
    document? Does he want to import addresses into an Excel spreadsheet?
    Does he want to create a new e-mail in Entourage with an address from
    the Address Book? Details are very important if you plan on getting an
    answer to a question.

    Thomas Reed, May 11, 2004
  6. Into what? MS Office isn't just one simple app, you know. Does he
    want to insert an address from the Address Book into a letter in a
    Word document? Does he want to import addresses into an Excel
    spreadsheet? Does he want to create a new e-mail in Entourage with an
    address from the Address Book? Details are very important if you
    plan on getting an answer to a question.[/QUOTE]

    Um, the OS X address book can be used by panther to address email, or to
    be inserted into the content of the mail. It can be used by iCal; it
    can be used by iChat. It can be used by iSync.

    Can any element of MS Office use it for anything?

    This is by far the most sensible question that Goldie has asked here to
    date.

    Michelle Steiner, May 11, 2004
  7. Yes.

    You can export and import into Office. If Entourage is your default email
    app, you can click on an email in Address Book and it will launch an email
    in Entourage.

    MR_ED_of_Course, May 11, 2004
  8. Does Office have a mail-merge facility, and if so, can it use Address
    Book as the data source?

    Barry Margolin, May 11, 2004
  9. Unfortunately, Entourage (at least in Office v.X) doesn't just access
    the Address Book database for its own use--it keeps a separate
    stand-alone database, hence the need to do imports/exports. Does anyone
    know whether this is fixed in Office 2004 (I realize saying "fixed"
    implies it's broken--this is intentional)?

    Daniel E. Sabath, May 11, 2004
  10. Well Office came out before Address Book, so it kinda made sense, I've
    played with a Preview of 2004, and it still incorporates it's own. I don't
    think this is changed in the final version.

    MR_ED_of_Course, May 11, 2004
  11. GoldTrade

    zolo Guest

    Seriously, have you ever actually even touched a Mac, say in CompUSA or
    in an Apple Store? Seems like if you devoted a solid half hour to an
    hour actually playing around with a real live Mac running OS X, you
    wouldn't need to cross-post every single question you have to a Mac
    advocacy group.

    -zolo

    zolo, May 11, 2004
  12. GoldTrade

    John Doherty Guest

    Word has had mail-merge features for many years, so I assume it's
    still in current versions (although I don't have any).
    Dunno about that.

    John Doherty, May 11, 2004
  13. GoldTrade

    Edwin Guest

    Um, the OS X address book can be used by panther to address email, or to
    be inserted into the content of the mail. It can be used by iCal; it
    can be used by iChat. It can be used by iSync.

    Can any element of MS Office use it for anything?[/QUOTE]

    No. MS Office can do absolutely nothing. I have no idea why people buy
    it.
    Probably, and it's the Mac OS X address book you refer to that I assume he
    wants to import into the MS Office address book.

    Edwin, May 12, 2004
  14. GoldTrade

    Alan Baker Guest

    You never did answer the question, Edwin.

    What a shock.
    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia

    Alan Baker, May 12, 2004
  15. No. MS Office can do absolutely nothing. I have no idea why people
    buy it.[/QUOTE]

    Yeah, sure.
    We don't know whether he wants to import it into the MS Office address
    book or use it directly, but apparently that's the address book he's
    referring to.

    Michelle Steiner, May 12, 2004
  16. GoldTrade

    Edwin Guest

    What made you think someone without a Mac was supposed to answer it? Why
    didn't you answer it? Are you afraid of losing your reputation for making
    worthless, content-free replies?

    Edwin, May 12, 2004
  17. GoldTrade

    Alan Baker Guest

    You were quick enough to pop off about what a Mac user might want to do
    with software you are now claiming you know nothing about...

    --
    Edwin: Can't even get a sig delimiter right.

    Alan Baker, May 12, 2004
  18. GoldTrade

    GoldTrade Guest

    I uesd my PowerBook exclusively for a week, when I tried to resolve
    the inefficiencies of using a machine not specifically designed for
    use on the Internet. I just walked in off the street to the Apple
    store at the Mall, and bought what they had in stock. One of the Comp
    USA stores I went to was a great help. The Mac expert in the Honolulu
    store does "not know jack."

    During that time I asked, and searched and posted the simplest
    questions here. As a result I was told what not to do, and advised
    about spelling and grammar. There were some very good answers. In
    general my questions revealed the intelligence level of many of the
    posters to this group.

    After that first week I became resigned to going back to Windows
    whenever the Internet needed to be used efficiently. For example when
    I come across a web page of interest, I mail it to recipients in
    Windows as a web page. Similar to the way Apple emails stuff to me.
    The Mac is useless for this kind of knowledge management. Many people
    have told me things can be done, but no one has explained "How," it
    can be done on PowerBook.

    You post however reveals a lot about you. May it ever be recorded
    here.

    GoldTrade, May 13, 2004