    -ADSL router (1 port) + swtich ( 4 ports)
    -ADSL router (4 ports)

    Which is beeter for future network extend ?

    ehabaziz2001, Aug 28, 2005

  2. ehabaziz2001

    CJT Guest

    I don't think it makes much difference; I just use what my ISP sent
    me -- at least that way I shouldn't have any compatibility issues
    with their central office equipment.

    CJT, Aug 28, 2005

  3. ehabaziz2001

    Rich Pierson Guest

    Best hookup is the adsl modem to a hardware firewall, one of the SMC or
    Netgears will work fine. Plug them both into a decent sized UPS.
    The 4 porters are OK, SMC makes an 8 port and linksys/cisco makes an RV016
    that is probably the most flexable out there, especially if you decide to
    get another broadband connection, it will handle like 5 broadband
    connections, plus you get 16 or so ports for expansion.

    Rich Pierson, Aug 29, 2005
  4. I agree. I have used Alcatel ADSL modems connected to my old SMC
    router and it worked flawlessly.

    Mauricio Tavares, Aug 29, 2005
  5. ehabaziz2001

    Rich Pierson Guest

    I hate replying to my own posts but I missed the wireless comment, if you
    want wireless connectvity *sometimes* I would put in a seperate wireless
    access point, that way you can just turn it off when not using it and
    flip it on when you want to. It also gives you the added benefit of being
    able to put it where you want it as a seperate stand alone device and not
    have to drag the cable or dsl modem around.

    Rich Pierson, Aug 29, 2005
  6. ehabaziz2001

    Dave Guest

    I'm very impressed with a Intertex IX66 modem/router/firewall, but there
    is no wireless on mine. I prefer it that way myself, although they do
    one with wireless. I would prefer to have that sepparate, so you can
    upgrade that separately. I have no switch either. For that I use a 3COM
    16 way one. I think you will soon find 4 ways is too limited.

    The IX66 does not need a computer to operate it, so is independent of
    the OS, unlike most of the cheap ones, that use USB and need a PC
    running Windoze to operate. Also, the cheap ones use your PCs CPU for
    computing, so slowing your PC. That does not happen with the IX66, as it
    has its own DSP chip. But with the speed of modern PCs, I doubt that is
    such an issue now.

    The IX66 has a USB port, but I have never used it. I just put telephoone
    in, and take two ethernet ports out, which I configure to be on
    different subnets. One is a DMZ, so there is no way a machine on the DMZ
    can access one on the private LAN.

    Support is very good too

    http://ix66.techarena.org/forum/

    I have tried a US Robotics router/firewall (not ADSL modem) and was most
    unimpressed. There is a very limited amount of firewall rules you can
    have, and when I found that port 21 (or was it 23?) was open all the
    time, their support was useless and could not help me resolve it. So I
    wrote that off as a waste of money (not much I might add) and went out
    and bought the more expenssive IX66 router/firewall (no modem).

    The IX66's are not cheap, but are useful if you don't want to keep a
    Windoze PC on all the time.

    Mine seems pretty good with power loss. I have it on a large (6kW) UPS,
    but that can only hold up my network (quad processor Ultra 80, SPARC 20
    as web server, WiFi, ...) for 45 minutes. We get a lot of power cuts,
    being in a rural area with overhead cables, but the modem seems to come
    back up fine and the web server opperates. That said, I know when I last
    patched the web server it had been up for over 100 days, so perhaps the
    mains has not been too bad of late.

    http://www.drkirkby.co.uk/

    and a few others are hosted on that. But of course with 256 kbit/s
    upsteam in the UK, it is not suitable for hosting a large web site. I
    used to host

    http://www.g8wrb.org/

    on it, but that was impractical, as there are lots of large files on there.

    Dave, Aug 29, 2005