Advantech PCM-5824 audio supply voltage?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Jonathan, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. Jonathan

    Jonathan Guest

    Hi,
    I have an Advantech PCM-5824 rev. A1, BIOS 1.13, 300Mhz NS Geode CPU.

    The manual for the 5824 indicates that it has, as other 58xx boards do, a
    jumper to allow you to use +12v for audio instead of the default +5v. This
    is supposed to allow better sound quality (or at least higher volume, I
    imagine).
    However, my 5824 does not have this jumper (J1) at all. I checked and there
    isn't a BIOS option to select the audio supply voltage either.

    I was wondering:
    1) Did my rev. of board leave off the jumper, or
    2) Does it automatically select 12v for the on-board audio if it's
    available?

    Does anyone with experience with these boards know the answers?

    thanks,
    Jonathan

    Jonathan, Sep 9, 2004

  2. The manual for the 5824 indicates that it has, as other 58xx boards do, a
    In a couple of boards we received while sampling alternatives (during
    a 5820 shortage), they changed from using a NatSemi "Boomer" audio
    power amp to a low-output opamp (I forget the part#). These boards
    didn't have the rail select jumper, and they weren't capable of
    driving speakers credibly; they required an external power amp.

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards, Sep 9, 2004

  3. Jonathan

    Jonathan Guest

    Thanks for clearing that up, just wanted to be sure I wasn't losing my mind.
    :)

    Jonathan, Sep 9, 2004