Advent 7060 screen hinge... a recurring nightmare?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by DanSolo, Nov 17, 2006.

  1. DanSolo

    DanSolo Guest

    I'm not going to commit suicide over this as it's a machine where I
    work (home owners, I feel your pain), but does the entire Advent series

    have some sort of design flaw at the screen hinges? I work in a lab and

    the Advent 7060 is connected to an analyser by USB. The screen has
    mostly, but not totally, blacked out, so someone has connected it up to

    an old CRT monitor.
    Now I know this is probably a blown backlight, but closer inspection of

    the hinges, particularly the left one, shows that use has eaten away at

    the plastic casing of the LCD. There are shards of plastic falling off
    and a large crack too. From Googling around I've found this isn't the
    only machine to have suffered such a fate.
    Basically I'm wondering if it can be fixed reasonably easily and
    reasonably cheaply. I might get to keep the thing if I replace it with
    an old banger laptop with a working LCD....
    Thanks everybody!

    DanSolo, Nov 17, 2006

  2. DanSolo

    Quaoar Guest

    There are no design, reliability, merchantability standards for notebook
    computers. Your only recourse is Advent, whoever they be. Otherwise, if
    your requirements are not intensive, there are new notebooks at say
    $400, or there is eBay (where you pays your moneys, and largely live
    with your choice).

    Quaoar, Nov 17, 2006

  3. DanSolo

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    This is an amazingly common mechanical failure mode for laptops.

    Someone posted on here a while back a possible solution. He suggested
    injecting into the crack the glue used for glueing lengths of plastic pipes
    together. Apparently this glue partially disolves the plastic around the
    hinges and effectively bonds the whole lot together as it sets. It is
    necessary to flex the hinges to squeeze excess glue out and remove it from
    the outside. I might suggest a smear of silicone grease to prevent it from
    bonding (but take care not to get it in the cracks, or it won't glue there
    either).

    I have not tried this myself yet, but of the hinges are cracked and broken
    there is probably not a lot to lose.

    M.I.5¾, Nov 20, 2006
  4. DanSolo

    DanSolo Guest

    Wouldn't you have to do this pretty much before you ever used the
    laptop? Also, isn't that fluorescent backlight in there somewhere, so
    you'll never be able to change it. If the hinges were kept well greased
    would that take some of the strain of the plastic casing?
    Ta for that.

    M.I.5¾, Nov 22, 2006