    I only need it for one game, as I am not a big gamer (at all).

    Therefore I don't need a superstar card. Just a budget option.

    Thanks in advance!~

    erin.betters, Aug 28, 2006

  2. erin.betters

    Guest Guest

    How much have you got to spend? Give the NG an idea and I'm sure plenty of
    people will offer their advice.

    Guest, Aug 28, 2006

  3. erin.betters

    erin.betters Guest

    To be totally honest with you, I am a real Luddite and I don't even
    know how much these things cost. I mean, I see some online for $300 and
    I was definitely not wanting to spend that much.

    I was hoping to spend under $100. I have no idea if that's reasonable
    or not. Since I really am not a gamer, the cheaper the better.

    I also do not know if eBay is a respectable option (i.e. how risky is
    it with these things? Are they delicate?).

    erin.betters, Aug 28, 2006
  4. erin.betters

    T Shadow Guest

    The ATI website has a compare page that probably shows what your asking.
    Just start with the older cards and work your way up.

    T Shadow, Aug 28, 2006
  5. erin.betters

    Guest Guest

    OK. Next questions: -

    What game is it you play?

    What card do you have at the moment?

    Any preference as to chipset - ATI/Nvidia?

    Do you need and PCI/AGP/PCI-E card? If you are not sure do you know what
    motherboard you have? If you do not know what motherboard you have, do you
    know the make/model of your PC?

    As for eBay, a viable option but for the difference in cost I would rather
    buy from a reputable on-line store and know that I am getting a brand-new
    working card that hasn't been overclocked etc.

    Glenn

    Guest, Aug 28, 2006
  6. erin.betters

    erin.betters Guest

    Nothing, at the moment! That's the problem! The game I bought is Black
    & White 2. I stupidly neglected to look at the system requirements,
    assuming my computer would be fine. I do not play any other games like
    that.
    Evidently, I have an Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
    None. Both were mentioned in the readme file of the game. I just want
    it to be at least as good as what I have now, and hopefully support
    Pixel Shader 1.1 (whatever that is).
    I don't know the answer to the first two....I even tried to figure out
    what kind of motherboard I had, but I couldn't. The brilliant online
    tech support couldn't tell me, either. Which does make me feel somewhat
    better.

    I have a Compaq Presario SR1000V.
    OK, yeah. I figured that could be the case. I just don't want to spend
    tons. As you can tell, I am not a real technophile and won't be gaming
    a lot.

    erin.betters, Aug 29, 2006
  7. erin.betters

    Guest Guest

    It's possible to get a good video card (new) for about $100, and there
    are lots of good ones for under $200.

    You say that you have an Intel 82845 currently ... that is an Intel 845
    chipset with built-in chipset video. That is an AGP chipset. However,
    some motherboards with that chipset and chipset video don't have an AGP
    socket for adding a video card. E.g. your only choice if the chipset
    video is inadequate is a new motherboard (effectively a new computer).
    You have to resolve that first, because it is so fundamental.

    There was a superb review recently on the best video cards at price
    points from under $100 to over $400. When I get home, I'll try to find
    it. The best low end card was a card based on the ATI X1300, although
    the card was not built by ATI. It was under $100.

    Guest, Aug 29, 2006
  8. erin.betters

    JKBK Guest

    If it`s this one then it looks like intergrated graphics with no Agp slot.
    Big problem with the Compaq`s and HP`s. No real modern videocard solution
    that I know of as pci has been dead for a while.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=407663&docname=c00163403#

    JKBK, Aug 29, 2006
  9. erin.betters

    erin.betters Guest

    So in that case, there is no way to play the game on this particular
    computer?

    Hrm, what a bummer. And surprising, too, that a computer that is only a
    couple years old is already too archaic to play a contemporary game on.
    I guess that's what you don't know if you're not a gamer! :'-(

    erin.betters, Aug 29, 2006
  10. erin.betters

    erin.betters Guest

    OK, so I found some stuff out from tech support. I realize this is very
    pedestrian, but could you all read over this conversation and tell me
    if you can see a possible solution to my problem?:

    erin.betters, Aug 29, 2006
  11. erin.betters

    Guest Guest

    You could add a PCI video card. However, this is not a good solution.
    Expansion cards which can be used to add a video card include:

    -PCI (least powerful)
    -AGP
    -PCI Express (Most powerful)(VERY NEW)

    Because PCI slots are the oldest and least powerful slots of the 3 types
    that could be used, the cards (very few cards, by the way, and
    relatively expensive for what they are) made for PCI slots are not high
    end cards. Adding a card is possible, you MAY even be able to find a
    PCI card powerful enough to run your desired software, but it won't be a
    "high end" card.

    Frankly, a better solution would be to replace the computer. Don't
    forget that you net cost is what the new computer costs less what you
    can sell the older one for (classified, E-Bay or wherever).

    Suggestion: don't buy a computer that does not have a PCI Express
    expansion slot, even if it initially comes with onboard chipset video.
    At this point, an NEW computer that uses AGP rather then PCI Express
    should probably be avoided. PCI-X (express) is very new, but it's what
    you want in a brand new computer.

    Guest, Aug 29, 2006
  12. erin.betters

    James Guest

    There are PCI only (as opposed to PCI Express/AGP Cards). There is a
    much more limited number of them, but they are out there.

    Here is an example which supports Pixel Shader 2.0

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1641739&CatId=0

    $44.99 US for a new card with a warranty

    Or if you prefer ATI chipsets:

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2340202&CatId=0
    $54.95

    You might find these cheap on eBay.

    James

    James, Aug 29, 2006
  13. erin.betters

    Guest Guest

    No! Don't give up yet, there are still plenty of PCI cards to choose from. I
    used www.pricerunner.co.uk (think there is also US version here
    www.pricerunner.com). Select Computers>Components>Graphics Cards>Show All
    Graphics Cards and then chose Interface>PCI and there are 4 pages (96
    different hits!).

    I would suggest something like an ATI X600 Pro or Nvidia FX5500 with 128Mb
    or 256Mb- both of which have at least Shader model 2. If you want to spend
    even less then ATI X300 or FX5200 would do but remember - you get what you
    pay for.

    Agreed, a PCI card is not going to blow your mind in terms of speed, but
    compared with what you've got I think you will still be pleasantly
    surprised.

    Hope some of the above helps.

    Glenn

    Guest, Aug 29, 2006
  14. erin.betters

    Victor Guest

    Erin,the best pci video card that will fit your computer is the
    GeForce 6200 / 128MB DDR / PCI Video Card.It will play your game
    fine.You can buy it at Tiger direct:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2427231&CatId=319

    Victor, Aug 31, 2006
  15. Barry Watzman, Aug 31, 2006
  16. erin.betters

    JKBK Guest

    Sorry I didnt mean to imply that there was no way of doing what you want,
    just that for some of these companies a popular thing is to not put in a
    AGP slot when using intergrated graphics. I think it`s a rather nasty thing
    to do to a uninformed/inexperienced buyer for the sake of a buck or two. If
    you`re in Canada I just saw a PCI card at The Source(EX Radio Shack) that
    should work for you (EVGA FX 5500 PCI $79.99). There are options.

    JKBK, Sep 1, 2006
  17. erin.betters

    Danny G. Guest

    NO

    What I get out of that is you have a video card that is plugged in to a AGP slot.
    Basically the existing display card is removed and the new one goes in its AGP slot.

    "Morrie: The mother board model is ASUS: P4SD-LA PES"
    "Morrie: As per the system specifications, I see that the system comes with 8X AGP Graphics card,"

    A quick search at HP.com for P4SD-LA shows a AGPx8 slot.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00062430&dlc=en&lang=en

    I don't think the support technician could figure out what you are trying to do. Try just saying, "Can I replace my AGP video
    card?"

    GL
    Dan

    Danny G., Sep 1, 2006
  18. erin.betters

    T Shadow Guest

    AGP >slot. Basically the existing display card is removed and the new one
    goes in > its AGP slot.
    to do. > Try just saying, "Can I replace my AGP video
    Or it could have on board graphics and an AGP slot. If it uses on board
    graphics they may have to be disabled in BIOS or just putting in an AGP card
    may disable it. Friend's E Machine had an Intel chipset that worked that
    way.

    T Shadow, Sep 1, 2006