Advice needed about enclosure for external hard drive

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Ali Chambers, Jul 16, 2007.

  1. Ali Chambers

    Ali Chambers Guest

    Hello,

    I need a bit of advice on enclosures for a laptop harddrive.

    I have a Hitachi Travelstar 40GB ATA/IDE harddrive that I used to have
    in my Dell laptop. You can see a photo I took here:

    http://www.chambers-media.com/01.jpg

    I have removed this from my laptop and would like to connect this up
    as an external drive via USB to other PCs.

    I have seen enclosures for sale on eBay (one example is below), but do
    not know whether it will fit my device. There are lots of these for
    sale, but the sellers do not respond to email.

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160136584821&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:UK:1

    Any help gratefully recieved!

    Thanks - Alex

    Ali Chambers, Jul 16, 2007

  2. Ali Chambers

    olfart Guest

    a 2.5 in HD will work in a 2,5 in enclosure
    your hd is a 2.5 in

    olfart, Jul 16, 2007

  3. Ali Chambers

    Ali Chambers Guest

    Thanks.

    Ali Chambers, Jul 16, 2007
  4. Yes it should fit. Any of the enclosures made for 2.5" IDE hard drives
    will normally fit (in this context, the only alternative to what I'm
    calling an IDE drive is a SATA drive). The only IDE drives that would
    not fit would be those that are too thick, and very few (if any) of
    these thicker drives (more than 12.5mm) were made in sizes over about
    6GB (some cases only take 9.5mm drives, which would be an issue if you
    had a 12.5mm thick drive (again, not common in newer drives, but not
    impossible).

    The only other significant issue is power. MOST laptop drives will
    operate from a single USB port, but not all. In that case, the option
    is to use two USB ports or to use an external 5 volt power supply (with
    a rating large enough for the drive in question). A USB port is
    supposed to supply up to 500ma, but not more than that (although some
    will supply more anyway, and some can't supply 500ma). Most drives will
    run from 500ma, but not all (this information is on the drive label).

    Barry Watzman, Jul 17, 2007