Advice Needed!: Micro ATX, Memory Speed, CPU and Motherboard

Discussion in 'Asus' started by etienno, Jul 31, 2006.

  1. etienno

    etienno Guest

    HI,

    My first question is With a Athlon 3500+ on a 2000MHz FSB what memory
    speed can I take?? 533? 667? or 800?

    I want to buy a new PC based on a Micro ATX board. I need this new
    desktop to be

    1- My Media Center (pluged on my new Samsung LCD HDMI/HDTV)
    2- My Gaming center. (average-high video-card is OK) I will buy a
    better card if necessary in few months.
    3- Do some work and Internet.

    I must be silence, not too much over-heated, practical and Stable. I
    choose Asus as a motherboard because it is stable and fast and the
    video card is HDTV compatible. I choose OCZ for memory because it is
    cheap, and the Silverstone SG01 MATX because it is nice and practical.

    I have build this PC for around 1000$ CND. What do you think about
    theses choice, can it be better? Should I get a better CPU?

    Thanks

    Etienne

    Here my new desktop @ TigerDirect.ca:

    Asus M2NPV-VM NVIDIA Socket AM2 MicroATX Motherboard / Video / Audio /
    PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / RAID
    $118.99

    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ / 512KB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Venice
    Core / Processor with Fan $126.99

    Silverstone SG01 Silver Micro ATX Home Entertainment Case, $165.99

    Seagate / 320GB / 7200 / 16MB / SATA-300 / OEM / Hard Drive $139.99

    OCZ Dual Channel XTC 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Gamer Memory (2 x
    1024MB) $241.99

    etienno, Jul 31, 2006

  2. The mobo can take up to DDR2-800 memory, but that's expensive. I'd go for
    DD2-667 (which I see you have choosen(.......

    --
    Tumppi
    =================================

    Thomas Wendell, Jul 31, 2006

  3. etienno

    etienno Guest

    Thanks a lot,

    I will keep the 667.

    Etienne.

    etienno, Jul 31, 2006
  4. etienno

    Rob Guest

    I've got a M2NPV-VM and I'm happy with it. Had to put a video card in
    it tho. The onboard just wasn't very strong. I looked at your specs
    and you'll never fit a 939 socket chip into an AM2 socket board. Maybe
    you might shop around for some better prices. I know Tiger Direct in
    the USA doesn't typically have the best prices! Unfortunately,
    Newegg.com doesn't ship to Canada or you could get the board for about
    $85USD. 667MHz is OK but make sure you can return it easily, as I've
    read that this board is really touchy with memory. I'm using Corsair
    XMS2 DDR2 800.
    Rob
    ..

    Rob, Jul 31, 2006