    anyone out there using this 7200rpm drive for laptop: Travelstar 7K60 60GB
    ATA-6 2.5in 7200RPM
    please advice, cause i am thinking about to get one for my laptop. Thanks

    Beti2425, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Beti2425

    Mike Guest

    my advice:
    run to get it...
    got this drive in my laptop, and it's far more than I'll ever need
    but it's nice...

    Mike, Oct 6, 2003

  3. Beti2425

    Donkey Agony Guest

    My Thinkpad's 5400 rpm 60gb drive crashed Wednesday night, so I got the
    new drive you're talking about FedEx'd to me. It came today. I put it
    in and restored all my backups.

    The drives are identical except for the speed, and let me tell you it's
    quite a difference. Especially from the time I type my password for
    logging into WinXP to when all the icons finally appear in the system
    tray. It's gone from something like 40 seconds to about 7 seconds. I
    was pretty happy with 5400 rpm and didn't think I'd notice much
    difference, but I was wrong.

    Donkey Agony, Oct 11, 2003
  4. anyone out there using this 7200rpm drive for laptop: Travelstar
    The 7K60 is a peppy drive, but it's not *seven times* faster than your old
    60GH. :)

    Compare the datasheets at www.hgst.com and you can get an idea of the
    performance characteristics of the two drives. Data transfer rate is about
    twice as fast, and track-to-track seek is a bit more than twice as fast, but
    average seek is only 17% faster and latency is 24% faster.

    It sounds like you got some serious defragging as a byproduct of restoring
    your backups--that has to be where the rest of the improvement came from.

    -Mike (who never defrags, but is tempted to after seeing this!)

    Michael Geary, Oct 11, 2003
  5. Beti2425

    * * Chas Guest

    I just installed a 7K60 in my IBM T20 running Win98SE. It
    boots in half the time it took the old Hitachi 4500 RPM 6MB
    HDD that came with the T20. Programs seem to launch least
    50% faster!

    Chas. (Drop spamski to E-mail
    me)

    * * Chas, Nov 9, 2003