Advice needed XP 2600+ TBred vs/or 2600+ Barton]

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Gordon Scott, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. Gordon Scott

    Gordon Scott Guest

    Currently I have a TBred 2600+ which runs at 2.03Mhz stock.
    Mines clocked 180x12.5 to 2255Mhz, stable as heck, and the performance is
    great.

    I have the opportunity to get/trade a 2600+ Barton.

    I know the barton has bigger cache, but the core/stock speed is lower at
    1833Mhz

    I both game and do video editing, on an A7N8X-deluxe running dual DDR
    mode

    So... can I clock the barton up to the Tbred speed with the same
    stability?
    Or what will my tradeoffs be? I'm a bit leary/unsure of dropping down
    400Mhz in processor speed.

    Fianlly, what about heat?

    Advice, rants, comments, personal experience, appreciated.

    Thx

    Gordon

    Gordon Scott, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Gordon Scott

    Ben Pope Guest

    Which means that you get the same performance froma slower clock...
    You should be able to, but it all depends on your luck. Most should get to
    2.2GHz without trouble, the newer it is the more likely you'll be able to do
    it, generally, but very new ones are locked.
    From what I gather, top speed on the Tbred B and Barton cores is about the
    same.
    The Barton core has a higher die area to heat production ratio so it should
    be easier to cool than a Tbred, so although it it will produce a little more
    heat overall, the higher surface area makes it easier to get rid of the
    heat, resulting in probably not much difference in temperature.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 3, 2003

  3. Gordon Scott

    JK Guest

    I would keep the Tbred.

    I use a [email protected] (10.5x200) and barton [email protected] (11x190) , both
    are rather low overclocked because of the warm summer. I haven't tried
    to speed them further, now when room temperature is about 10 degrees
    lower.

    The larger cache of barton is nothing to write home about, from my
    opinion.

    best regards

    John

    JK, Dec 3, 2003
  4. Gordon Scott

    Doug Ramage Guest

    John, is there a no noticeable performance difference between your two cpus?
    Can your Barton 2500 not do 200FSB?

    Doug Ramage, Dec 3, 2003
  5. Gordon Scott

    JK Guest

    The ram I use for my barton are not supposed to do much better than
    190 (Crucial pc2700). No, I cannot say that the barton is better, to
    my opinion.

    Furthermore the 2 computers use the same kind of harddisk, maxtor
    fluid IDE 7200 rpm 120Gb with 8 Mbyte cache. The 1700+ runs on a
    soltek frn2-l with twinmos pc2700 able to run fsb200. The 2500+ runs
    on abit nf7.
    Actually I like best the soltek system. It runs like a breeze. It
    seems to me that harddisk performance is slower on the abit. It might
    be a question of controller. Maybe I should use another controller.
    They use the same new Nvidia IDE drivers.

    What favors the abit system is, that it can do silent standby. I use
    that a lot. I have adsl. It takes 12 seconds from I touch the space
    bar to XP windows is fully up. Nice !
    A cold boot takes about 40 seconds. Half a minute waiting !

    I am thinking of buying some better ram the abit, some adata pc4000 or
    twinmos pc3700. But it is Christmas time. And they write about the new
    AMD socket 939 and DDR2. We are going to use DDR2 some day.

    best regards

    John

    JK, Dec 3, 2003
  6. Gordon Scott

    Doug Ramage Guest

    Thanks for the detailed reply, John. The reason for my asking is that I have
    an XP2100 and PC3200 RAM, but the highest FSB (stable) is around 180Mhz on
    an Asus A7N8X dx (rev. 1.04) - although the cpu is happy to clock at
    2.25Ghz. So I was contemplating an upgrade to a Barton XP2500 - although I
    hear that AMD are locking them now - and/or some Kingston HyperX PC3200 RAM.

    Doug Ramage, Dec 3, 2003