    Also, games are not my priority for these cards.

    Cheers,

    Bonny

    bonnyr, Jun 3, 2006

  2. bonnyr

    heycarnut Guest

    Quadro, and other high-end cards, tend to sacrifice some speed for
    absolute rendering accuracy. The difference in speed is usually quite
    small, but positional accuracy, aa quality, color accuracy, etc. can be
    visibly better in such cards. These cards also tend to go through much
    more rigorous testing and certification for various software packages,
    which adds to the cost, and of course, there's the market factor - big
    compnaies will pay big bucks more easily than a gamer.

    heycarnut, Jun 3, 2006

  3. bonnyr

    heycarnut Guest

    heycarnut, Jun 3, 2006
  4. bonnyr

    bonnyr Guest

    OK, I can see the official line, but there are also sites out there tha
    show how
    to convert a GeGorce to a Quadro. Is it still applicable for these
    cards (7800/7900)?

    bonnyr, Jun 3, 2006
  5. bonnyr

    bonnyr Guest

    Too quick with the submit button...

    Internally, in terms of number of pixel shaders and clipping regions,
    etc, are these
    chipsets the same?

    Cheers,

    Bonny

    bonnyr, Jun 3, 2006
  6. * bonnyr:

    [Quadro vs Geforce]
    Both Quadro and Geforce use identical GPUs. The difference is that qith
    Quadro cards the driver unlocks several additional features like
    antialiased lines which are useful or even mandatory for professional
    applications but useless for general purpose applications and games.
    Unlike common opinion Quadro cards are _not_ slower in games when using
    the same driver settings like on a comparable Geforce card. But they
    offer no benefit for games.

    Another point is that Quadro cards are only made by PNY while Geforce
    cards are made by several OEMs which leads to a huge variation in
    product quality (cooler noise, analog image quality, durability). Quadro
    cards for example usually have a very good analog signal quality which
    even on huge CRTs produces clear and sharp pictures. Quadro cards also
    are certified by several hardware and software vendors for compatibility
    with certain systems and applications, and having a certified gfx card
    together with a certified driver often is a prerequisite to get support
    from your software vendor.

    Basically, if you want gaming and if you are using professional apps
    like MCAD, animation packages etc for learning or hobby purposes then a
    Geforce card fits the bill quite well. If you use such apps for a living
    then a Quadro card together with a certified system from Dell or HP is
    the way to go.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jun 4, 2006