Advice on IBM ThinkPad R51 and buying direct

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Schizoid Man, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. Schizoid Man

    Schizoid Man Guest

    Hi,

    After much debate I have decided to purchase an IBM ThinkPad R51. I need a
    plain, sturdy laptop without many bells and whistles but that is built
    solidly and has a nice, comfortable and firm keyboard. I used to own a Dell
    Inspiron and felt that it was built like a toy.

    Does anyone have any experiences with this laptop? It got fairly conflicting
    reviews on PCMag (4.5/5) and CNet (7.x/10), though I would pick PCMag's
    choice over CNet any day of the week.

    Also, does any have any experience buying directly from IBM.com? I placed an
    order and before its through I was informed that they would contact me by
    email to confirm it.

    It's been four or five hours and so far I have not been contacted and no one
    has so much as sent me even an order confirmation email. Is this normal?

    Thanks,
    Anuj

    Schizoid Man, Aug 12, 2004

  2. Schizoid Man

    Charlie Guest

    I just bought a T42 from IBM.com and everything went just fine. I
    ordered the computer on a Monday.... it was listed as delivery in 2 to
    4 wks, so I opted NOT for the overnight shipping at extra cost. Well
    the computer arrived on Friday! Best service I've ever had buying from
    anywhere! My confirmation email didn't arrive until Tuesday, but by
    then apparently the computer had already shipped!

    As to the R model... it seemed to me to be too much like the old A
    models. I had a A30 that failed just after the warranty expired at one
    year... so I opted for a three year warranty with the T42.

    BTW, I love this new computer!

    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie, Aug 13, 2004

  3. Schizoid Man

    Dave Morrell Guest

    I've been very happy with my R32, but I also recommend the extended
    warranty.

    I bought mine from computers4sure.com. The price was similar to IBM direct,
    but IBM wanted to charge sales tax.

    Dave Morrell, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Schizoid Man

    gman1120 Guest

    I don't recommend buying this mode. I bought an R51 back in May and it
    has been a nightmare. After numerous problems and many calls to tech
    support, they finally replaced my unit with another one and it too has
    been problem after problem. This long time IBM customer is done with
    them and am heading to Dell.

    gman1120, Nov 6, 2004