    7800Gt. I understand you must have 2 identical sli enabled cards for sli to
    work. Is this correct? Another plan was to wait for the fx chips to come
    down an swap the venice out when that happens. Sound like a good Idea?

    Nlaplaca, Sep 7, 2005

  2. Nlaplaca

    Cuzman Guest

    Nlaplaca wrote:

    " How much of a boost would I get from running 2 cards in sli mode? "

    Read this review of the 7800GT. It includes SLI benchmarks.
    http://www.3davenue.com/1369.html

    " I understand you must have 2 identical sli enabled cards for sli to
    work. Is this correct? "

    Yes, and they need to have the same BIOS version too. That's why buying
    one card now and another later could become problematic. Also, if you
    intend to use a 2x 7800GT SLI setup through into 2007 or 2008 then you
    may find that new games are wanting (as yet unreleased) shader models
    and DirectX versions that aren't supported by the 7800GT. You might
    find your performance in those games is then less than that of one brand
    new $200 card.

    " Another plan was to wait for the fx chips to come down an swap the
    venice out when that happens. Sound like a good Idea? "

    Maybe, but it depends what the market situation is at the time you
    intend to do that. It may well be that AMD remove all FX chips from the
    market except for the newest and most expensive. Also, by the time you
    upgrade it could be that most newly-released games can utilize SMP, and
    therefore an X2 3800+ (currently $374 at Newegg) will be better than an
    FX for gaming.

    Anyway, you can overclock a Venice 3000+ to levels that aren't too far
    from the overclocking potential of an FX-57. An unlocked multiplier
    doesn't hold as much currency on socket 939 as it did on socket A.

    Cuzman, Sep 7, 2005

  3. Nlaplaca

    Nlaplaca Guest

    one card now and another later could become problematic.

    Well I ordered everything. Not sure if I will add a 2nd card in the future
    or not. But if I do is there a flash utility somewhere? I have flashed the
    bios on motherboards plenty of times before but never a graphics card.

    Nick

    Nlaplaca, Sep 7, 2005