Advice on which hardware to buy....

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Andrew McCall, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I would like to get a cheap second hand Sun box to run Solaris on - I
    will maily be using it for learning Solaris system administration and
    serving my web site.

    I am looking to spend as little as possible, but I don't want to get
    something that can't actually be used for anything!

    I would like a box that is upgradable, so I can add extra memory, hard
    disk space etc. and I would like the box to be acutally usable for
    things too, so I don't want it to be too slow and would like to be
    able to run some software for serving JSP pages using the Sun Web
    Services package and MySQL over my home DSL connection.

    What do people recommend? I was looking at perhaps something like a
    Sun Ultra 2, or an Ultra 5. Would one of these boxes be OK for what I
    am suggesting?

    The other thing is - I don't know anything about the graphics cards in
    Ultra's - whats the "best" one I can get in one of these boxes.

    Thanks in advance,

    Andrew McCall.

    Andrew McCall, Aug 11, 2003

  2. Andrew McCall

    Rich Teer Guest

    Your best bang for the buck will either be an Ultra 1, or
    an Ultra 30.
    SKip the Ultra 5. The Ultra 2 is a nice machine, and is
    dual processor capable. But its a bit more expensive than
    the two uniprocessors I mentioned above.
    In any of the machines above, a Creator 3D is a fine choice.

    HTH,

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Aug 11, 2003

  3. The newer machines with PC memory, IDE drives and USB would
    probably be your best bet. Look at the Blade 100 or Blade 150.
    The Ultras could probably be got cheaper, but they generally
    have SCSI drives and different (i.e. more expensive) memory.
    The U2 is quite a good machine. Also look at the U10. But look
    at the specs for both before deciding since you may need to
    buy more memory and disk. Also check CPU speed. Java is a
    resource pig so a dual CPU system like a U2 might be good or
    a faster CPU like in the Blades.
    Do a Google search in this newsgroup for keywords "Elite"
    and "Creator".

    -am © 2003

    Anthony Mandic, Aug 12, 2003
  4. Andrew McCall

    Charles Soto Guest

    I'm a big fan of the Netra T1 line, as it uses pretty standard parts,
    has hot-swap SCSI disks and PCI expansion. It uses standard "PC"
    SDRAM and has LOM. Plus, it's tiny. Everything you want in a box
    that's to sit in a closet and be ignored.

    However, if you want something that you can add cheapo PC IDE disks,
    you will need a Blade 100/150, or possibly a V100 (although I cant
    speak to their quality, as I haven't used one). I put a couple of
    60GB IDE disks and spare DIMMs into a bare-bones Blade 100 without
    much hassle.

    Charles

    Charles Soto, Aug 12, 2003
  5. I have v100 and v120 - no problems works 6 months without _ANY_
    problem.

    If you have more money - buy v240 - nice box with redundancy and
    4 drive bays.

    Regards

    Marcin Jurczuk, Aug 12, 2003
  6. Andrew McCall

    Chris Morgan Guest

    Make sure not to buy one through grey channels or off the back of a
    truck. There is a batch with hardware faults in all four Gig-E NICs
    which make the machines unusable. My v240 is being recalled, but we
    bought direct from Sun. If I'd bought one in a dodgy way I might be
    out of luck.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Morgan
    "Post posting of policy changes by the boss will result in

    - anonymous correspondent

    Chris Morgan, Aug 12, 2003
  7. Andrew McCall

    Steven Hill Guest

    I would advise against the Netra T1 unless you have a dedicated server room
    If the Netras are too loud, box 'em up and send 'em to me. I don't mind
    the noise.

    Steven Hill, Aug 13, 2003