advice

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by swen, Jun 23, 2004.

  1. swen

    swen Guest

    hi,

    im building a new system and just want some quick recommendations. i've
    read reviews online about the following processors(pricewatch prices
    included):

    $80 - Athlon XP 2800 333
    $75 - Athlon XP 2700 333
    $73 - Athlon XP 2600
    $66 - Athlon XP 2600 333
    $83 - Athlon XP 2500
    $67 - Athlon XP 2500 333

    and i'm not finding any info that seems to suggest any one of these
    really stands out from the others. the xp 2500 266 seems to be really
    overpriced, but other than that, i'm having a hard time knowing what or
    what not to choose.

    do any of these athlons have any special overclockability relative to
    the others?

    tia

    swen, Jun 23, 2004

  2. swen

    swen Guest

    ok, i should have read through the group first. any recommendations between:

    barton 2800 @ $95
    barton 2600 @ $82
    barton 2500 @ $72

    ?

    swen, Jun 23, 2004

  3. swen

    rstlne Guest

    $67 - Athlon XP 2500 333

    Look at it this way
    the top speed of every model after and including the 2500+ is about
    2200/2300mhz
    the M versions should go a bit higher.. personally
    I would go with the 2500+ 333 and just make sure I buy a 200fsb (400 ddr)
    board with pc3200 ram

    rstlne, Jun 23, 2004
  4. swen

    swen Guest

    thanks! what about the issue of locked multipliers? is there any way to
    tell which parts have an unlocked multiplier (if any)?

    swen, Jun 24, 2004
  5. swen

    rstlne Guest

    Just assume that it's lock'd from the start.

    The mob version isnt lock'd however..

    (lock'd or not doesnt matter, you can change fsb regardless)

    rstlne, Jun 24, 2004
  6. swen

    swen Guest

    ok thanks for your help