    Has anyone else detected this, and is BargainBuddy something to be
    worried about.

    Thanks.

    Harry, Mar 16, 2005

  2. Harry

    J. Clarke Guest

    Given the age of Catalyst 4.12 if there was a problem then one suspects it
    would have been noticed by now. Antivirus programs often come up with
    false positives. Does a different antivirus come up with the same result?

    J. Clarke, Mar 16, 2005

  3. Harry

    Glitch Guest

    Yup,me too.
    I use System Works 2005 Premium and when I ran a full system scan with
    Norton it tolde me that the 5.2 package had Adware.bargain buddy.
    But when I extracted the files to a folder I didn't show anything.
    Weird...
    --

    Glitches are BAD!!!
    Beware...

    ICQ:275699535

    Glitch, Mar 16, 2005
  4. Harry

    DaveL Guest

    No doubt a Norton glitch. I hate Norton.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Harry

    MCheu Guest

    It's either a false positive, or you downloaded an infected driver set
    from a third party site.

    BargainBuddy is one of the names for a browser hijacker (it has
    several aliasses). When installed, it would redirect internet
    explorer to their portal site no matter what you have set as your
    browser homepage. Later versions seem to affect mozilla as well. All
    versions are a major pain in the ass to get rid of. They name their
    files to look like system files, and even place them in the system32
    directory to make users reluctant to delete them. They also modify
    the registry in at least two places to perform a check at bootup so
    that if you DO delete it, it will re-install it using files hidden
    elsewhere on the system (location varies by version). Most of the
    automated ad removers like Adaware and the newer versions of Norton
    don't do a particularly good job of removing it. While I'm sure they
    do remove it, the re-install crap kicks in almost immediately on the
    next reboot. Sometimes you have to do a manual removal with careful
    checking of the run entries in the registry to catch all of it.
    Careful both to find all the entries, *AND* careful not to delete
    something important.

    MCheu, Mar 16, 2005
  6. Harry

    Gonzo Guest

    Not all virus scans are legit. It's best to try another scanner. You can
    only have one installed at a time though in most cases.

    If I use one of the freeware web based scans I get a positive hit on my
    installed freeware scanner as it shows up as a Trojan.

    Take any scan with a grain of salt.

    Gonzo, Mar 16, 2005
  7. Harry

    Matt Ion Guest

    BargainBuddy is spyware, not a virus. Neither SpyBot S&D nor Microsoft
    AntiSpyware detect anything in the ATI package here. Sounds to me like
    a false positive from Norton, which is not unusual for them... NAV has
    been known to false on several legitimate files in the past.

    Personally, I don't infect my machines with anything by Symantec - it's
    all overbloated, buggy, intertwines itself far too deeply into the
    system, and in my experience causes more problems that it's ever solved.

    Matt Ion, Mar 17, 2005
  8. Harry

    Matt Ion Guest

    Something like this, try a utility like SpyBot S&D or Microsoft
    AntiSpyware, that checks system and user startup locations (both
    registry and Startup folders), AND lets you view them and disable
    entries manually (rather than deleting them outright, just in case),
    which is a lot easier and safer than poking around in RegEdit.

    Matt Ion, Mar 17, 2005
  9. Harry

    Connected Guest

    There is something wrong with Norton shitware. I was in the anti
    spyware group and someone made a post that Norton found the same
    Bargainbuddy in ccleaner.exe (Crapcleaner). Crap Cleaner doesn't
    contain Bargainbudy so it is a false positive reading and I expect
    that's what Norton shitware is showing you too.

    Connected, Mar 18, 2005
  10. Harry

    Connected Guest

    I agree. It's a false positive. See my other post about Norton
    flagging Crap Cleaner with the same Bargainbuddy spyware when in fact
    it doesn't contain it.

    Connected, Mar 18, 2005