    Perhaps the original fan is out of balance and I should replace this
    with another ... any ideas.

    Tony

    Tony Ramsden, Oct 12, 2003

  2. Tony Ramsden

    Happy Hippo Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:34:16 +0100, Tony Ramsden
    <> wrote:

    >The TMD fan on my Aeroflow vibrates alot especially at low rpm , and
    >causes an awful drone all over the house, I can reduce this by
    >overriding the fan controller ( MSI Core Centre ) and setting it
    >manually at 5000 rpm, but this is not a long term fix.. So I've
    >deceided to change the fan, for a larger one and adapt it fit the HS
    >with a set down adaptor, but here lies my problem. Browins over the
    >web I can only find 60 mm to 80 mm adaptors, The original fan is 70
    >mm.
    >
    >Does anyone have a source for 70mm to 80mm or 90mm adaptors in the UK.
    >
    >Many thanks.
    >
    >Perhaps the original fan is out of balance and I should replace this
    >with another ... any ideas.
    >
    >Tony

    I heard that if you have two (temperature) controller in series, you
    will get problems like the ones you describe. Not sure if it applies
    here, but I know that there are fans with a built in temp controller
    which measures the temperature of the intake air. (I'm referring to
    the intel boxed cooler for example)

    Also it might just be that your chosen fan and the temperature
    controller don't match because of different reasons. Anyway it seems
    that the current which your fan gets is fluctuating which might cause
    howling sounds.

    If you want, have a look in your Mobo manual, and see what happens if
    you disable the temperature control for the CPU fan and what will be
    the downside of this.
    I think this will result in the mobo running the fan at max all the
    time, and if it where a silent one this would not have to bother you.
    If you can regulate the fan speed manually, this might be what you
    want.

    To check if its really the fan that is broken, I would connect my
    variable current power supply I have for electronics purposes to the
    fan and see what it does at low rpm. Like this I would be able to
    check if the noise is an aftereffect of the temperature controller.
    Maybe you have something like this too.

    If you want a more silent cooling solution, try a zalman cooler (for
    example), the cnps7000a-cu for instance. There is also a al/cu version
    that is only 450 g heavy.

    HH

    Happy Hippo, Oct 12, 2003