After reinstall of win xp get boot menu with 2 xp profesions to boot from

Discussion in 'Dell' started by David, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. David

    David Guest

    I get a boot menu after reinstalling winxp pro clean install
    on a dim. 2400 p4 2.2 that shows 2 window xps.
    If you select the first one it boots fine. The second one does not
    work and
    wont attempt to actually boot. When I reinstalled I deleted the
    partitions (one small fat32 and the other large rest of the disk ntfs)
    and formatted. I just want windows to boot without showing this boot
    menu which I dont need anyway. I did boot again to the windows xp cd
    and only
    shows the one xp when showing existing windows installed (that is as
    far as I went). By the way the only reason I clean reinstalled
    windows
    was to get rid of all the junk the pc comes loaded with. I have
    loaded all xp updates etc. I just want to get rid of the boot menu.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    PS. To reply directly to me add an extra 1 to 165 (ie 1165).

    David, Nov 17, 2003

  2. David

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Safest way is to do the following:

    - Right click on "My Computer"
    - Select "Properties"
    - Select "Advanced" tab
    - Click on "Settings" under the "Startup and recovery" section
    - In the "Default operating system" window select the correct option
    - Change the "Time to display list of operating systems" to "0"
    - Click on "OK" until you are out.

    From now on, you'll never see the message and the correct OS will boot
    automatically

    Hank Arnold, Nov 17, 2003