afudos /pc syntax switch option? 1018 slow boot BIOS

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Nomen Nescio, Nov 2, 2004.

  1. Nomen Nescio

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    Started using the afudos flash utility with my new p4c800-e dlx MB. And
    after several guesses, got the syntax of /i and /o correct. And these
    are the only two switches given for this utility when it's run with no
    arguments.

    But downloaded the 1019.4 beta BIOS from the german asus site, and the
    bios came with afudos in the zip file. And the text file that comes with
    the archive has the following syntax:

    AFUDOS usage: "afudos /i<filename> /pc" (e.g "afudos /i1014.rom /pc")

    So the question is, what does the /pc switch do?? It's not documented
    anywhere!

    And damn I need a new bios, cause the 1018 BIOS seems real slow on
    startup. WTF? Why does it just sit there for about 10 seconds after it
    does it's little self-check? Geez, my intel board doesn't do that. When
    I turn on a computer, I want it to complete its self-test real fast, and
    then IMMEDIATELY bootstrap the target drive. Having the thing just sit
    there for several seconds is totally unacceptable for a P4 system,
    especially one with a 3.2GHz processor!

    Another bug I discovered in 1018 BIOS is that even when you tell it to
    disable the "Hit Del to enter BIOS setup", it still displays the message!

    Nomen Nescio, Nov 2, 2004

  2. Nomen Nescio

    Paul Guest

    See page 6 for AFUDOS info - the p argument means program, and
    the letters after the p, indicate just what to program -

    http://www.ami.com/support/doc/AMIBIOS8_Flash_Recovery_Whitepaper_v10.pdf

    The delay could be a fix to permit using Hitachi drives with
    the motherboard. Check the BIOS release notes (the "More" links on
    the download web page), to see what release of firmware includes
    that fix, as releases after that one should be slower as well.
    Eventually, I'm sure a BIOS release will come out with a better
    workaround for the Hitachi drive.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 2, 2004

  3. Nomen Nescio

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    Wow, thanks for the link. That's what I've been looking for!
    Blech. I hate all things Hitachi! For me, the only drive is Seagate!

    Nomen Nescio, Nov 2, 2004
  4. Nomen Nescio

    sbb78247 Guest

    What??? you don't like the deathstar drives?????

    later models "seem" to work better. i have a 120 that is working more
    reliably than the 2x80 western digital SATA raid drives. actually, one of
    the WDs crapped out, but luckily the deathstar had an image on it that was
    restored to the WDs after warranty replacement.

    In todays cheaper is better corporate market, it's all a crap shoot.

    sbb78247, Nov 4, 2004
  5. Nomen Nescio

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    My experience with Hitachi drives started with the RMAing of the infamous
    IBM 75GXP drive. RMAed 3 of those terrible drives. The first 2 times
    they sent me the same model back (refurbed of course). And each time I
    put them into service, they failed within 4 months. And it was during
    this time that IBM sold their disk drive business to Hitachi.

    Finally, the 3rd RMA resulted in receiving a Hitachi drive. Was much
    larger too, so I felt like I was coming out ahead and the series of bad
    drives were all behind me. How wrong I was. Two months into operation,
    the Hitachi started to fail. First it developed a bearing whine. And
    then it started to make the sound that might as well be a death rattle -
    constant attempts to seek, combined with a system freeze while the disk
    attempts to read data. This time I didn't bother doing the RMA route
    again. Instead I took the thing apart and put my fingerprints all over
    the shiny platters. Bent the heads and then threw the whole thing into
    the trash. No more IBM, no more Hitachi, I will never buy or recommend
    those drives to anybody!!!

    Seem to have had great success with Seagate drives. Tried WD, but they
    seem to get noisy over time, and other people report the same. Their
    Raptor line seems attractive, but they are twice the money for a given
    capacity vs. other brands. Tried Maxtor a few years ago, when they came
    out with their Diamond series. Seemed like a slow drive, even though it
    had nice specs. And from what I've read, they fail a lot. So I stay
    clear from Maxtor. So again, Seagate is the only brand of drives I buy.
    They are quiet, they are fast,and they are reliable.

    Nomen Nescio, Nov 4, 2004
  6. Nomen Nescio

    sbb78247 Guest

    your milage may vary - i have had quite a few maxtors, wds, and now a
    hitachi - and out of all of them, the wds have let me down the most. most
    recently was a sata 80g wd in a raid 0 set. luckily i had a current image.

    sbb78247, Nov 5, 2004
  7. LOL, I am off Seagate at the moment, had one develop bad sectors after a few
    months, and despite running chkdsk /f on the drives on many occasions WinXP
    never found any bad sectors till after they failed, so I lost my RAID array.
    Formatted the suspect drive with FAT 32 and ran a thorough scandisk over it
    and errors were found immediately. Others I have spoken to tell me Seagates
    aren't so great. Recently I had some flakyness with another Seagate (I
    bought a pair for the RAID), but am not sure if it is the drive or XP
    playing silly buggers, as it all seems fine now. Have changed it as my
    system disk and am watching it very carefully.
    It seems to me a brand is only as good as it's last model. I remember when
    eveyone raved about the IBM's, because they had a particularly good model
    (it escapes me now), then the 75GPX came along ;)

    The best idea is buy a DVD writer and back up every day! ;-)

    Son of Blahguy, Nov 9, 2004