Again on temperatures: diode vs non diode reading

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by ko, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. ko

    ko Guest

    Hi everybody!

    I have a dumb question for you all:

    What is the difference between diode inside the die reading and non diode
    reading of the temps?

    I ask you this coz i just built a backup sys using a cheap asus mobo, and I
    have the feeling the temps reported by this mobo are much lower than the
    ones reported by my other system (based on Gigabyte 7n400 pro).

    So what's the difference? Which is the "right" one? I have the feeling (from
    reading posts in this NG) that asus mobos report much LOWER temps than
    gigabyte.

    Thanx to anyone answering

    Bye

    ko, Sep 14, 2003

  2. ko

    Jibby Guest

    diode internal chip sensor most accurate
    diode external chip sensor least accurate

    Jibby, Sep 14, 2003

  3. ko

    Steve Vai Guest

    the on die diode should be the most accurate, but my board (soyo kt333
    platinum) won't read it, so i have to go by the socket temp, which is
    anywhere from 5C to 10C lower than the die temp.

    Steve Vai, Sep 14, 2003
  4. ko

    Wes Newell Guest

    AKAIK, there is no right one. Each value is read by the bios. Then the
    bios calculates the temp shown. They could be right or they could be off
    20C. Depends on the board/bios version. If calculated properly, the on die
    temp would be the most accurate imo.

    Wes Newell, Sep 14, 2003
  5. I have a a7v8x Asus mobo and the temp in bios is 6-7 deg cel lower than with
    a small program
    I use (VCool) think asus drop temp to not worry customer (shame on asus)

    from Sweden

    Michael.Carlsson, Sep 14, 2003