AGP 2x/4x/8x card in older AGP 1x/2x slot.

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Larry L., Apr 19, 2004.

  1. Larry L.

    Larry L. Guest

    I'm unclear whether or not some of the newer 8x cards will work in the older
    1x/2x slots. I see some cards that say "4x/8x" and others that say
    2x/4x/8x. I also see some cards stating "8x AGP", but their specs only say
    that they require an AGP slot "greater than 2x." What does all this add up
    to when trying to replace a card in an older motherboard that only has an
    AGP 1.0 slot (i.e. 1x/2x.) The model of motherboard in question (an Asus
    P3B-F) CAN support a Geforce3 Ti200 as well as a Geforce4 Ti4600 (I've run
    these cards on this motherboard), so I know that it can support "AGP 2.0"
    compliant cards. Given the literature on some of the new "8x" cards,
    however, I'm unclear if it can support some of the newer cards -- like the
    current offerings of GF4 MX 440 that state 8x.

    Just in case it matters, some of the cards I'm specifically wondering about
    is the PNY Verto GF4 MX 440 64MB DDR 8x AGP card currently available at
    Fry's, as well as some of the cheapest FX 5200's. I checked PNY's site, but
    it no longer has any information about this card. I need a "dirt cheap"
    card for this secondary system, and the GF4 MX440's can be had for under
    $50.

    Thanks for any information on this,

    Larry

    Larry L., Apr 19, 2004

  2. Larry L.

    phil Guest

    It will work at lower "speed", this form of agp timing is really a farce,
    the difference between AGP 2 and 8 is virtually perceivable with the human
    eye,

    Its the system components, that make the real difference in frame rate.

    phil, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Larry L.

    Larry L. Guest

    The card has the double key slots, so it is keyed to fit in any AGP slot.
    Does this imply that it will work in the older motherboards?

    Thanks,

    Larry

    Larry L., Apr 20, 2004