    performance ?

    Regards,

    Andy.

    Andy M, Jul 15, 2004

  2. Andy M

    Sham B Guest

    Yes it will work
    AGP 8 is obviously faster, but few games task the AGP interface enough for it to be noticeably
    better over x4. For the latest games (Far cry, KOTOR, et al), having 1GB of memory seems to be far
    more important than a x8 AGP

    The only thing I would say is that a mobo that only supports x4 probably doesnt support the sort of
    processor that will make best use of a 9800 pro.... XP2500 or equivalent is about right IMO for
    standard resolutions (1280x768 or 1280x1024).
    FYI, I initially bought my 9800 pro to go with an XP2000 and a x4 mobo, and typically got a 3DMark
    or around 11000-12000. With my current setup (XP2800, nForce 2), I get around 15000, (6400 in
    3DMark03) with the XP2800 making the big difference.

    the price of 9800pros has come down enough for this not to be an issue though. Many people see a
    9800 pro as a minimum entry for a new card that you dont want to have to change in a years time, and
    its prefereable to a 9600 for a new card even if you currently have a slower setup.

    HTH

    Sham B, Jul 15, 2004

  3. Andy M

    Andy M Guest

    Hi Sham,

    Appreciate the in-depth answer.
    I currently have an AMD 1.3Ghz processor so i guess i fall into the category
    of not having a processor upto the job of getting the very best out of a
    9800PRO.
    From the sounds of it though i should still get a good increase in
    quality/performance from the 7500 that im running at the mo.
    Thanks again.

    Regards,

    Andy.

    Andy M, Jul 15, 2004
  4. Andy M

    Sham B Guest

    Certainly, but with a 1.3, your processor will be *by far* the biggest bottleneck there with the
    setup you have, and your increase wont be massive. Good idea to move up on the CPU soon, but I guess
    you know that already :)

    Sham B, Jul 15, 2004
  5. Andy M

    johns Guest

    You will, but in Far Cry, your system will begin to trade
    off between AI and Environ .. sometimes leading to respawning
    in the game .. especially in the end levels. If you force the
    Environ ( you will see it switch to Custom ), I think that
    certain "trigger points" in the AI fail to load, and the game
    begins to respawn forcing you to map to the next level.
    My 2000 is on its last go 'round. Maybe a P4 by Xmas
    if I can sneak it past Wifey.

    johns

    johns, Jul 15, 2004
  6. Andy M

    Tod Guest

    99% of the AGP 8X cards should also work at 4X.

    Tod, Jul 15, 2004
  7. Andy M

    DaveW Guest

    Yes, it will work. And Yes, it will have reduced performance.

    DaveW, Jul 16, 2004
  8. Andy M

    RaceFace Guest

    Reduced yes, but the difference between 8x and 4x is minimal, just as the
    difference between 4x and 2x was minimal. Theoretically, each is doubly
    fast, but practically speaking, nothing pushes the AGP slot to the limit.
    For the same reason, PCI Express won't improve graphics card performance by
    a noticeable margin. It will improve other things in your system, however.

    RaceFace, Jul 17, 2004
  9. Andy M

    RaceFace Guest

    Not entirely true. I have a P4 3.06HT on my P4B533, which is a 4x board.
    That CPU will certainly handle a 9800 Pro. In fact, I'm sticking a 6800GT
    in there next week, since my old videocard decided to blow 3 capacitors. :)

    A 9800 Pro would still be a decent choice for him, even though his CPU is on
    the slow side for the card. He'll still get support for fancy graphics
    features, but he'll just have to run in a lower resolution.

    RaceFace, Jul 17, 2004
  10. Andy M

    Wblane Guest

    You can't make sweeping generalizations like this. It depends on the game.
    Counterstrike and Quake III will scream w/a 9800 Pro (at 1600x1200x32) as will
    Unreal 2003.

    Wblane, Jul 17, 2004
  11. yes, and yes, though, how much you'll notice, IDK

    Anonymous Joe, Aug 3, 2004