    jhgd Guest

    does a agp pro are compatible with agp 8x card
    or should i get a mobo with a real agp 8x?

    jhgd, Jul 5, 2003

  2. jhgd

    KSlater Guest

    Get something with real AGP 8X support.

    KSlater, Jul 5, 2003

  3. jhgd

    Blaedmon Guest

    as far as relevence - AGP2x will do for years to come. But if youre
    insistant on wanting 8x then agp8x (not pro) would be a better choice.
    Again, anything above 2x/4x is useless, its merely there to wow people who
    dont know what the hell theyre wow'ing about.

    Blaedmon, Jul 5, 2003
  4. jhgd

    Egil Solberg Guest

    AGP Pro cards are mainly professional videocards that need more power. They
    get that extra power from the AGP Pro slot´s extra connectors.
    Speed has nothing to do with this.
    If your mobo has a slot designed for AGP8X cards, but is in addtion the
    extra connector needed for AGP Pro it is obviously better that a slot that
    is AGP8X, but not AGP Pro.
    This will mean that with the first one, you can use AGP Pro cards (I haven´t
    seen one yet, and I doubt you will as well), on the other board, not.
    Performancewise the videocard, AGP8X and non-Pro, will function the same in
    the two boards.

    Egil Solberg, Jul 5, 2003
  5. jhgd

    Egil Solberg Guest

    Very true. Someone that praises AGP8X over let´s say AGP4X does not have a
    clue on what´s going on. Now we´re moving to PCI express, so much for that
    AGPXX hype.
    Guess we´ll start seeing PCI Express-hype now :(

    Egil Solberg, Jul 5, 2003
  6. jhgd

    Jef Guest

    AGP Pro cards are mainly professional videocards that need more power.
    They
    I am curious what is then the difference between nonpro cards and pro cards.
    The speed is the same, so why do they need extra power? Do they just turn it
    into extra heat or do those pro cards have other advantages.
    This may sound sarcastic but it is not, I am really curious for I don't know
    what the difference is between the cards that are used for gaming and
    professional cards.

    Greetings,
    René

    Jef, Jul 5, 2003
  7. jhgd

    Egil Solberg Guest

    http://www.3dlabs.com/product/wildcatvp/vppro/index.htm

    That´s an example of an AGP Pro card. Its power requirements are bigger than
    usual AGP spec.
    Note that current ATI cards also exceed the AGP spec, therefore they are
    equipped with the extra floppy power connector. As not every mobo has AGP
    Pro slot it´s necessary for ATI to do this.
    I guess the solution with the extra floppy power connector can deliver even
    more power, so maybe that´s the reason AGP Pro isn´t used more than it
    currently is.
    I don´t know more than this.

    Egil Solberg, Jul 5, 2003
  8. jhgd