AI7 and ATA100 hard drive - slooow speeds

Discussion in 'Abit' started by RMC, Sep 10, 2004.

  1. RMC

    RMC Guest

    Hello All

    My Abit BD7-II stopped working recently, so I have upgraded to an Abit AI7.
    The IBM hard drive that used to run at UDMA5 speeds on the BD7II mobo will
    only run at Multiword DMA2 speeds - 16 MB/s whereas the sustained speed
    should be at least twice that. The drive is noticeably slower when
    transferrig jpegs or larger files - I should be able to run UDMA5 which is
    4-5 times faster, but I can't.

    I used to use the Intel application accelerator on the BD7-II mobo but there
    isn't such a driver for the 865 chipset on the AI7 mobo. So my questions
    are:

    1) Have other users seen UDMA5 speeds on an AI7 or is this a problem that is
    known about?

    2) Is there a workaround?

    I'm using Windows XP SP2 and in device manager I can see the onboard Intel
    82801EB unltra ATA controller with the atapi.sys, pciide.sys and pciidex.sys
    drivers.

    I can also see the primary IDE driver details, saying that the transfer mode
    should be DMA if available, and the current mode is Multi-word DMA mode 2.

    The drive is an IBM Deskstar 120GXP IC35L100AVVA07 100GB IDE Hard Drive -
    there are no other IDE devices on that channel (the DVD burner lives on the
    secondary channel).

    There aren't any BIOS settings that I can adjust to force the drive mode

    Any pointers would be gratefully received!

    Cheers

    RMC, ENgland

    RMC, Sep 10, 2004

  2. RMC

    - HAL9000 Guest

    I would go into device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and
    uninstall either the primary or secondary (depending on your setup).
    Reboot and let windows redetect the drives on the controller.

    If your having cable problems, drive problems, been swapping drives
    around a little too much then interface speeds have been known to fall
    back from what they should be. Also double check the hard drive
    jumpers.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Sep 11, 2004

  3. RMC

    RMC Guest

    Forrest

    I too thought that might solve the problem, but it hasn't.

    # I've swapped over the 80 conductor IDE cable for a different one
    # I've checked the drive jumper settings.
    # I've deleted the 82801EB ultra ATA controller and the pri and sec IDE
    channels, and allowed XP to reinstall those.
    # I have been into the registry and deleted any error counts that might
    allow the IDE controller to drop back to lower UDMA rates.
    # I've been into BIOS and set everything to auto, then tried setting (where
    appropriate) unoccupied channels to "none"
    # I have also tried some low level disk utilities (IBM drives are now
    handled by Fujitsu so I went to their home page) which confirm that the
    drive *is* UDMA 5.
    # I have also tried Spinrite 6.0 which says, interestingly, that the drive
    is UDMA 5 capable but is actually set to MWDMA 2.
    #I have written a short machine code debug routine to check the mode
    settings and to force them to be UDMA 5(found it on a website somewhere)

    None of them work so my next task will be to try some other hard drives and
    see if they are forced to be UDMA5 - and see if I can narrow the problem
    down to either a drive, the motherboard or the OS on a drive.

    If you can think of anything else I should be doing, please feel free to
    comment - I'd welcome any suggestions!

    Cheers

    RMC, England

    RMC, Sep 11, 2004
  4. RMC

    TomG Guest

    any possibility of a damaged ribbon? have you tried swapping that out? try
    deleting the ide channels and allowing the OS to re-detect them?

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Sep 12, 2004
  5. RMC

    TomG Guest

    wow... you certainly hit all of the things I would have suggested and
    more... you try the drive on the other IDE channel on the board?

    TomG, Sep 12, 2004
  6. RMC

    RMC Guest

    Yes, I have tried two different ribbon cables ( the old one from the
    previous motherboard i.e. known to be good, plus the brand new one bundled
    with the mobo) and I have also tried the drives on IDE channels 1 and 2. I
    have also tried drives (where possible) as master or slave, each on its own
    channel or sharing the cable (with the correct cable connectors for master
    and slave) with other hard drives.

    No matter what I do, XP keeps asserting the drive as MWDMA mode 2, even if I
    delete and reboot the controller/channels/both/ etc.

    And, more worryingly, DOS based disk utilities such as Spinrite claim that
    the drive is *capable* of UDMA 5 but *operating* as MWDMA2. I know I should
    do an OS re-install to see if *that* will fix the drive speed recongition
    within the OS but my feeling is that if the DOS utilities say the drives is
    slow, then so will the high level OS.

    This applies to the three or four drives I have tried. I realise that
    *another* test is to try my drive or drives in someone else's machine, and
    run the same DOS utilities (to save the OS getting scrambled trying to
    generate another HAL for a new mobo).

    At the moment however, I only have this one machine - and all the evidence
    is suggesting that the mobo will only run my IDE devices at MWDMA mode 2.

    Any more suggestions will be gladly received, even if it is to double-check
    and question what I have already done.

    RMC, Sep 12, 2004
  7. RMC

    - HAL9000 Guest

    You certainly did your homework, LOL.

    One would have to wonder if the BD7 going out has affected the drive
    somehow...

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:46:38 +0100, "RMC"

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Sep 12, 2004
  8. RMC

    RMC Guest

    You certainly did your homework, LOL.

    I did have a full head of hair before this little lot cropped up !
    That's a good point and one I hope to address when I get chance to test the
    BD7 motherboard. The only thing is, the Seagate Barracuda that I used had
    up until yesterday, only lived in a USB2 enclosure thus never had direct IDE
    connection to the BD7 - so the BD7 couldn't have damaged that drive yet it
    too is seen as MWDMA2 only (by low level utilities as well as the XP SP2
    OS).

    I'll keep at it - I mean, the drive does work (albeit slow) and I am using
    it right here, right now.

    Cheers

    RMC, England

    RMC, Sep 12, 2004
  9. RMC

    TomG Guest

    I don't have the AI7 in place but is there a setting in the bios called Bus
    Mastering? if so, have you messed with enabling that?

    TomG, Sep 12, 2004
  10. RMC

    John Lewis Guest

    You did load the Intel INF driver after you installed the OS, didn't
    you ? Should be on the AI7 CD-ROM.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Sep 12, 2004
  11. RMC

    Per Nielsen Guest

    I assume the best setting would be Enabled?

    Per Nielsen, Sep 12, 2004
  12. RMC

    RMC Guest

    You did load the Intel INF driver after you installed the OS, didn't

    I did indeed load the intel chipset driver from the CD - and also a later
    version from the Abit website.

    I have also played with busmastering (usually set to enabled, but tried
    disabling it too).

    So far, so bad ... beginning to look like a duff motherboard I feel.

    RMC, ENgland

    RMC, Sep 13, 2004
  13. RMC

    TomG Guest

    yes, I would have it enabled but it is supposed to be for DOS mode only...
    however, that said, we have seen it affect the system in modes other than
    DOS.

    TomG, Sep 13, 2004
  14. RMC

    Per Nielsen Guest

    Thx, Tom :)

    Per Nielsen, Sep 13, 2004
  15. RMC

    John Lewis Guest

    What BIOS are you running ? ( Although nothing in the AI7 BIOS
    release notes seems to address your particular problem ).
    Since your DOS utilities indicate a problem, the argument
    seems to be between BIOS and your various hard disks.
    Is everything set to AUTO in your BIOS IDE settings on the
    appropriate Integrated Peripherals page and is IDE Busmastering
    enabled ? You have set the disk to Single Master Only and ignored
    "Cable Select" ( just to eliminate an unwanted variable in the
    troubleshooting )?

    Try swapping the disk to the Secondary IDE channel
    and examine the Mode with the DOS utilities again
    ( from a boot floppy). This might confirm a duff IDE
    channel.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Sep 13, 2004
  16. RMC

    RMC Guest

    It's now working at UDMA 5 speeds now, as verified in XP's devicemanager and
    using a DOS boot disk to run Spinrite...want to know how? Read on !
    Just to reiterate, I could ONLY get MWDMA mode 2 on any hard drive,
    irrespective of IDE channel or cable or whether I used XP or a DOS based
    utility.

    I fixed it by re-installing Windows XP , including SP2.

    As soon as I did so, I rebooted the machine and booted up into a floppy-disk
    based DOS environment. I ran Spinrite and also an IBM DOS utility - they
    both confirmed UDMA5 available AND active, and showed MWDMA 2 as available
    but greyed out.

    I tried some benchmarking - and got about 53 MB/s instead of about 6 MB/s
    which is all I could get when I started this thread with my MWDMA 2
    problems.

    I rebooted and went back up to the XP desktop - I went into device manager
    and it too confirmed UDMA 5 working!

    So, I now have the problem cured, but what was the cause?

    It seems to me (I'm no expert) that the original XP OS forced amode onto the
    drive or onto the mobo which even DOS couldn't re-set to a different
    version. I understand that there's comms between BIOS and an OS at some
    stage during boot up (and maybe when the desktop has been reached i.e.
    normal running). Is it the case that some flash ROM area of the motherboard
    can be set or cleared by a high level OS, so that machine-level modes can be
    established?

    Just to recap, I did carry out very thorough testing and retesting, and I
    did experience the problems in DOS as well as in XP, and I did try all of
    the BIOS combinations available (can't remember some of the details right
    now).

    If anyone can explain what has happened, I'd be very interested to hear. I
    look forward to being educated by someone more knowledgeable.

    Cheers for everyone's help!

    RMC, England

    RMC, Sep 14, 2004
  17. RMC

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Glad it is working.

    If you don't get a response here you might try:

    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

    I used to visit that group for awhile. Some can recite ATA interface
    protocols to you. Others are good guessers, LOL.

    - HAL9000, Sep 14, 2004
  18. RMC

    TomG Guest

    hmmm... clearing the CMOS with the jumper should get rid of anything in the
    ESCD area of the system which is where some settings in the negotiation
    between the bios and OS occur... I never felt that it was a hardware issue
    as we have seen this type of thing many times but deleting the channels in
    Device Manager and other tactics have usually taken care of it in my
    experience.

    good that you got it resolved, though.

    TomG, Sep 14, 2004
  19. RMC

    Guest Guest

    Tom
    I agree that clearing CMOS should have cleared everything - and I did clear
    CMOS two or three times during my tests. I even downgraded the BIOS to an
    earlier release, and did a clear-CMOS on the board when it had blown in.

    I'm very puzzled, but as you say, it is at least now fixed. I'd like to get
    to the bottom of it - I stand by all of the tests that I carried out and all
    of the results which I recorded.

    Cheers

    RMC, England

    Guest, Sep 14, 2004
  20. RMC

    TomG Guest

    yeah, between that lovely dark hole called the registry and other unknowns,
    we might never know the actual cause.

    a fellow poster, Qed, asked me in an email about whether clearing the CMOS
    really does clear the ESCD area as well and I guess I have to assume (key
    word!) that it does since they no longer have a reset ESCD command option in
    the bios menus... on the other hand, why did they *ever* have the option in
    the menus if using the jumper would take care of clearing that area as well?
    my answer to that is they wanted to give the option of being able to clear
    the ESCD in the event of significant hardware changes so that you could
    clear the ESCD but not be forced to clear *all* of the CMOS along with it.

    so, I do continue to believe that clearing the CMOS with the jumper also
    results in the ESCD information being lost as well... at least until I get
    information to point out otherwise...

    TomG, Sep 14, 2004