AI7 and Siren + fan noise on Boot

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Adam, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Hi,

    I have an now 2 month old AI7. It has some annyoing issues. The first is the
    NB fan makes a grinding on booting, for a little while. Its only spinning at
    like 2000-2500 rpm. It eventually jumps to 5000 and stops making noise.

    Anyways, sometimes or in lieu of this I also get the Hi-Lo siren. I go to
    the bios. It looks like the only thing out of normal is the NB fan.
    (Northwood 3ghz cpu). Sometimes it goes for 1/2 a second, sometimes it goes
    on until i turn off/on once or twice.

    Sometimes it seems to "slow" down and then stop. Sometimes it starts up
    again.

    Could this be the NB fan causing this? System temps on bootup are like 60F
    for case, 70F for PWM, 75F for CPU.

    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    -Adam

    Adam, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Adam

    TomG Guest

    the temps are probably in C as opposed to F as if they were really F, then
    your system is running niiiiice and cool! even still, the stalling or noisy
    NB fan could be the cause of the alarms because the alarms are generated by
    temperature problems, monitored fan problems, or voltage problems. you
    could always either replace the NB fan with an aftermarket or temporarily
    disable fan monitoring in the bios, if available. then see if the issue is
    resolved.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Feb 12, 2005

  3. Adam

    Adam Guest

    It is in F.
    It appears that the alarm goes away once the NB fan gets over 3000rpm. There
    is no way to disable it.

    Another odd thing, I have decent ram, and when I try any of the game
    accelerator things, i dont even post.

    Adam, Feb 13, 2005
  4. Adam

    TomG Guest

    yeah, the NB fan is having trouble, as many before it have. how warm (in F)
    does the CPU get after it has been on for a while? mine runs around 113 F
    at idle in the winter and on up from there under load.

    TomG, Feb 13, 2005
  5. Adam

    Adam Guest

    About the same CPU: 113F. Case: 86F, PWM: 107F
    and that is with using my cablecard watching TV

    CPU:

    Adam, Feb 14, 2005
  6. If its still in warranty (1 year), return it to ABIT for a fix.
    Or you could buy a new fan from ABIT for $11.00 which is
    probably less than the shipping to return the board for repair.
    It's definitly easier than swapping out th board.

    http://www.abit-usa.com/abitparts/chipset_fan.php

    GC

    :-: Ghost Chip :-:, Feb 14, 2005

  7. Hi,

    I've had the AI7 for a year now, wicked mobo!

    The *standard* Northbridge HSF is rubbish. Buy yourself a Thermalright NB-1
    or an NB-1C and fit it. It does come with a fan but as my system is pretty
    cool (average 25°C) I run my NB-HSF passive!

    I used to get odd alarms going off and stuff, but that was when I was using
    the ABIT uGuru software. I got rid of that, then cleared CMOS, and
    installed MBM5 and all has been well since.

    I did another AI7 build for a friend, and on his I kept the stock blue
    NB-HSF, but just removed the fan, and it works great!

    Wayne ][

    Wayne Youngman, Feb 15, 2005
  8. Adam

    TomG Guest

    sounds about right... just trying to see if there was something off base
    with the temps being so low...

    TomG, Feb 15, 2005
  9. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Id rather spend $11 and just get a new fan.

    The odd thing is, when I bootup the computer when it is a little warmer
    (68-72 F in the room vs. 60-65F) the siren isnt going off though the fan
    still does its noise at first.

    and Wayne: Id rather just go passive. I dont overclock really, especially
    since I cant get the stupid thing to get past where it sometimes "Updating
    ESCD" (like past the screen where it lists IRQ stuff) when I enable any sort
    of GAT/OC stuff in the bios.

    -Adam

    Adam, Feb 15, 2005