    For now, I am running the PC without the NB fan and I don't see any
    impacts. One side benefit is my CPU is running about 8 degree C cooler.
    Have no idea why.

    newbie, Sep 13, 2006

  2. newbie

    Dylan C Guest

    Keep monitoring the NB temps and if they stay low, you'll be just fine
    without a fan.

    -Dylan C

    Dylan C, Sep 13, 2006

  3. Well, sounds like it's getting that way yes. These plain bearing fans wear
    to a point where the bearing goes sloppy, then all you get is the shaft
    vibrating rather than spinning smoothly in the shaft. You might find that
    some heavier oil will get you back where you were, but if not, it's
    curtains, for the fan at least.
    Oh yes, it has an effect, but the exact magnitude of that effect is
    dependent on the precise design of your case and the rest of the cooling
    solution employed. The main purpose of those fans is to guarantee some
    airflow over the northbridge no matter what. In many cases it's not strictly
    necessary because the CPU fan chucks out enough air to take care of things.
    However, with, to state an extreme scenario, a watercooled processor,
    there's no spare air swooshing round, so in those circumstances the NB fan
    does come into its own.
    When you run the PC with the side of the case off can you feel significant
    airflow over the NB heatsink? If so, chances are you'll be fine.
    That's an odd one, to be sure. Switching off the NB fan would have some sort
    of effect on the airflow and aerodynamics inside your case, but it's
    difficult to concieve of a method by which this change could be responsible
    for the temperature variance you noted. Are you sure there aren't other
    explanations for the change, and are you comparing temperatures under full
    load?
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Sep 13, 2006
  4. newbie

    newbie Guest

    The cpu temp was 57~58 with NB fan on and 48~49 when NB fan is powered
    off. Case temp is about 30 with same set of apps running before and
    after the NB fan power is removed.

    newbie, Sep 13, 2006
  5. newbie

    paulfx

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    AI 7 NB fan problems

    I noticed that others have the same problem with a noisy NB fan. I have removed and oiled the fan several times but the noise returns after several days. I have considered buying another fan but may run into trouble attaching it to the heat sink unless it is made to fit.

    I have noticed that some people have disconnected the fan. I have tried this but then I set off the siren which is worse than the fan noise. Is there a way to fool the system into stopping the warning signal?

    paulfx

    paulfx, Apr 26, 2009