AI7 - OCZ EL PC3200 Platinum Limited-Edition (part 3)

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Wayne Youngman, May 10, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I am still stuck, can't get my system stable when using some *tight* OCZ
    PC3200. Prime95 will fail or the machine will reboot.

    It has been nearly two months now, I already RMA'ed the memory back to OCZ
    and got a replacement, but sadly my system is unstable. I wanted to
    overclock this system but I haven't even been able to make it stable at
    stock, without setting my memory down to some lame 2.5-3-3-x timings.

    I have been testing each stick *separately*, and need your advice on the
    results.

    2-7-2-2 ~ 2.7vDimm ~ 200MHz-FSB 1:1 ~ GAT: A-A-A-A-A ~ PSB800 ~ 1.525vCore

    Stick #1 in Slot (1) ~ Memtest All 24 Hours:1 Error (Test#10, Pass28).
    Prime95 24 Hours:pASS.

    Stick #2 in Slot (1) ~ Memtest All 24 Hours:0 Errors. Prime95 24 Hours: FAIL
    (22Hours 17Mins).

    Stick #1 in Slot (3) ~ Memtest All 24 Hours:0 Errors. Prime95 24 Hours:pASS.

    Stick #2 in Slot (3) ~ Memtest All 24 Hours:0 Errors. Prime95 24 Hours: FAIL
    (19Hours 31Mins).

    Stick #1 in Slot (2) ~ Memtest All 24 Hours:0 Errors. Prime95 24 Hours:FAIL
    (3Hours 11Mins ~ 2nd: 53Mins).

    Stick #2 in Slot (2) ~ Memtest All 24 Hours: Skipped. Prime95 24 Hours:FAIL
    (1Hours 22Mins ~ 2nd: 4Hours 21Mins).

    Stick #1 in Slot (4) ~ Memtest All 24 Hours: Skipped. Prime95 24 Hours:FAIL
    (1Hours 4Mins ~ 2nd: 3Hours 9Mins).

    Stick #2 in Slot (4) ~ Memtest All 24 Hours: Skipped. Prime95 24 Hours:FAIL
    (2Hours 24Mins ~ 2nd: 3Hours 21Mins).

    From seeing these results I am thinking that I have

    a) Faulty AI7 Motherboard (Duff DIMM slots?)
    b) A Pair of OCZ sticks with one working better than the other.

    What can be going on? I don't understand how Memtest86 cannot find errors,
    but yet Prime95 will FAIL in Windows very quickly?. All my kit is brand new?

    I have left Stick #2 in Slot (4) and am running Memtest86 *all* tests for a
    few days, too see if it can catch any errors!. I also will throw 1.65vAGP
    into the testing.

    If I increase vDimm (2.8v, 2.9v) the system passes, but I am totally unhappy
    at running this kinda voltage just to reach stock speeds with a single
    stick. was hoping to overclock this memory in dual-channel to 220MHz-FSB
    2-6-2-2! Wow what a dream, can't trust these online reviews at all.

    I think I am gonna RMA both the AI7 & the OCZ memory.
    --
    Wayne ][
    Pentium® 4 2.6GHz (Northwood D1) ~ Retail HSF AS/3 ~ ABIT AI7 (Beta 16-01) ~

    Wayne Youngman, May 10, 2004

  2. Wayne Youngman

    Ed Guest

    I can't offer you specifics I'm afraid but a colleague of mine was having
    similar issues as you re having and eventually found a working solution by
    getting rid of the OCZ memory and using Corsair's TwinX LL's in their place.
    From what little he told me after he did that he didn't have a problem again
    on attaining high and stable FSB's with std vDimm voltages.

    Bet you wish you kept your AMD rig now eh...?

    Ed

    Ed, May 10, 2004

  3. Wayne Youngman

    ElJerid Guest

    Looks like your tests fail randomly, without possibilityto assign the
    failures to one specific mem module or DIMM slot.
    First thing I should do is using a contact clean spray to clean as well the
    contacts of the modules as the contacts of the slots.
    This should normally solve your problem. If it persists however, check your
    power supply and the way you connected it to your PC components (don't put
    all your disks / CD / DVD on the same leads). Try do test with another power
    supply (min 400 W for a brand supply).
    Also check / clean the connection of your VGA card.
    How about your cooling? What are the reported temps?
    About voltages, those should not be increased for a non-overclocked system.
    But anyways, first clean the mem contacts. Sometimes this does miracles...

    ElJerid, May 10, 2004
  4. Wayne Youngman

    DNX Guest

    Also try your GAT settings as Auto-Auto-Auto-Disabled-Disabled as a lot of
    people have better success with these settings.

    cheers

    DNX, May 10, 2004
  5. Wayne Youngman

    DNX Guest

    Just read your post at Abit. When you set your memory settings to SPD, what
    settings show up in your bios?

    You may need to try vdimm voltage of 2.8v if you are trying to run memory at
    tighter timings than they are rated.

    cheers

    DNX, May 10, 2004
  6. Wayne Youngman

    TomG Guest

    I've been a Corsair fan for some time now...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, May 10, 2004
  7. Set your vcore to 1.55 . I had problems running vcore at 1.525. Raise your
    vdim to 2.8 because your mem is rated to run up to 2.8. By retail hsf do you
    mean the stock intel hsf? If you've upgraded to the 2.6 from a slower chip
    you need to use the hsf that came with the 2.6. They look the same but all
    intel chips use different heat sinks. As the speed of the chip goes up the
    heat sinks ability to cool is increases also.

    wasdiscovered, May 11, 2004
  8. I forgot to ask but what are your temps? You can't be running tests for 24
    hours with out watching them.

    wasdiscovered, May 11, 2004