    a black windows screen stating that it can't boot because of a hardware
    change. I tried all options but it won't start up XP. How can I get around
    this last problem. Thanks again.

    LenBum, Feb 3, 2004

  2. LenBum

    TomG Guest

    swapping out a mobo is not something that an NT based OS tolerates very
    well. there is a HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) that gets built by the OS
    that is hardware dependant. the HAL does not get rebuilt except during an
    OS install.

    what you can try is to boot the XP CD and try to do a repair installation of
    the OS. If your particular flavor of XP CD (I have had some of them not
    provide a Repair option...) will allow it, then try going through the
    prompts and selecting Repair.

    keep in mind that if you have the OS now on a SATA drive, that you would
    need to have the SATA drivers available on floppy and hit F6 when prompted
    to install third party SCSI or Raid drivers.

    most likely, you will do best to reinstall the OS from the ground up but you
    can give the repair option a try...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Feb 3, 2004

  3. LenBum

    LenBum Guest

    Thanks Tom. You were right. The repair option did nothing so I formatted and
    reinstalled. So far so good...............but the Windows activation isn't
    letting me use my product key. Too many reinstalls I guess.What's my next
    move. Do I have to call and beg? :)

    LenBum, Feb 4, 2004
  4. LenBum

    LenBum Guest

    Ok, so I lowered myself to begging...................got my XP Home
    activated. I think I'm going to build a second computer and put one of the
    linux flavors on it..........

    LenBum, Feb 4, 2004
  5. LenBum

    TomG Guest