Airport Base Station with Wireless and Wired Connections - Help Please

Discussion in 'Apple' started by John, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I have an Airport Extreme Base Station with a DSL modem, G4 iBook and
    a G4 desktop. The laptop has a wireless connection and the desktop is
    wired to the LAN port. Both computers are running OS 10.3.2 and the
    Base Station has the latest firmware.

    The problem I am having is that the desktop connection to the internet
    disappears whenever the laptop user disconnects from the internet. Was
    on the phone with Apple last night and managed to get the desktop
    connection to work with the laptop shut down (not exactly sure of all
    the steps taken but it included running Disk Utility to correct
    permissions, shutting off and on the DSL modem, Base Station and
    desktop, etc.). I was satisfied that the problem had been fixed since
    the desktop was accessing the internet with the laptop shut down.

    This morning, everything was still working and then we started up the
    laptop. Still okay. Connected the laptop to the internet. Still okay.
    Disconnected the laptop from the internet --> problem returned - can't
    connect desktop (sometimes just spins the little disk, sometimes says
    can't find server). If the laptop reconnects, so does the desktop. If
    I shut down the laptop and try to reproduce the steps from last night,
    I am not successful in getting the desktop to connect.

    Anyone have a similar experience and know what the issue might be?
    Basically the laptop Internet Connect is acting like a switch for the
    desktop connection.

    Thanks.

    John, Feb 12, 2004

  2. John

    Bob Harris Guest

    How is the DSL authentication being performed. Is the Airport Extreme
    doing the PPPoE authentication and then acting as a DHCP and NAT server?

    Or are you doing the authentication in Mac OS X Network preferences?

    My setup is, Airport Extreme does PPPoE connection to Verizon DSL.
    Airport Extreme acts as DHCP and NAT server. My 3 Macs at home (2
    Airport connected, 1 via 100BaseT ethernet) all have the Mac OS X
    Network preferences setup "Using DHCP". This has been working since May
    of last year.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Feb 13, 2004

  3. John

    John Guest

    Okay, I'm going to answer my own question!

    Talked to Apple again tonight and found someone who knew what the
    issue is. Needed to go to Airport Admin Utility on the laptop and
    select "always connected" option. So far seems to be working.

    John, Feb 13, 2004