    Justin Guest

    Can the Airport Express share an already wireless connection?
    Not all hotels have ethernet ports.

    Justin, Jun 26, 2010

  2. Yes; the manual tells you how to do it.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 26, 2010

  3. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Are you sure? I just asked on the Apple support pages and they say it
    can't.

    Here's my situation; when my team goes to a hotel we don't like paying
    $15 for each person to access the internet.
    So I bought a Linksys WTR54GS and its utter crap and must be replaced.
    It crashes when there's a large download like from youtube or CNN video.

    So I'm trying to share a hotel's wireless internet connection with four
    other machines - also wirelessly.

    Justin, Jun 26, 2010
  4. Are you sure? I just asked on the Apple support pages and they say it
    can't.[/QUOTE]

    <http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/AirPort_Express_Setup_Guide.pdf>

    Connecting to an Existing Wireless Network
    You can use AirPort Utility to join an existing wireless network. When you
    connect your AirPort Express to your home stereo, computers on your
    wireless network can use AirTunes to play music from iTunes on the stereo.
    If you connect a USB printer to your AirPort Express, all of the computers
    on the network can print to the printer.
    Make sure you connect the audio cable to your stereo and the USB cable to
    your printer before you use AirPort Utility.
    To connect to an existing network:
    1 Open AirPort Utility, located in the Utilities folder in the Applications
    folder on a Macintosh, or in Start > All Programs > AirPort on a Windows
    computer.
    2 Follow the onscreen instructions to connect your AirPort Express to your
    wireless network.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 26, 2010
  5. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Is that more of a repeater than a router?
    If I get one off ebay which one should I get?
    I'm on a bit of a budget.

    Justin, Jun 26, 2010
  6. Justin

    Guest Guest

    that will provide him with a single ethernet port.

    he will at a minimum, need a 4-8 port switch and all members of his
    team would need to share a single room. or, he would need a *second*
    router to create a hotspot, fed off of that ethernet port.

    Guest, Jun 26, 2010
  7. Justin

    Guest Guest

    only the 802.11n airport can bridge, but it's still not a complete
    solution for what you want to do.

    Guest, Jun 26, 2010
  8. Justin

    Guest Guest

    i haven't had that problem with mine at all.

    Guest, Jun 26, 2010
  9. that will provide him with a single ethernet port.[/QUOTE]

    He indicated that all the computers will be connected via WiFi, didn't he?

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 26, 2010
  10. Justin

    Guest Guest

    yes he did, which means a single ethernet port won't help unless
    there's another router to provide wifi.

    Guest, Jun 26, 2010
  11. Justin

    Justin Guest

    I tried that.
    It boots the first user off theinternet and redirects them to the login
    page.

    Justin, Jun 26, 2010
  12. yes he did, which means a single ethernet port won't help unless
    there's another router to provide wifi.[/QUOTE]

    I don't follow. What does ethernet have to do with it?

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 26, 2010
  13. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Yes I did. But the AE can only share an ethernet connection directly to
    wireless clients.
    I have to share an already wireless connection. Basically I have to
    make the connection I'm trying to share look like only one connection -
    much like a regular cable modem router.
    In regular cable modem setups the ISP only sees the router's MAC address
    and thus assigns it an IP.
    Thats what I want to do with the hotel connection. I want the hotel
    wireless connection to "see" only the router, give it an IP address and
    have a few machines behind the router have their own internal IP addresses.

    Justin, Jun 26, 2010
  14. I would suggest that if you can't afford to pay for internet access in
    your hotel room, you use other locations that offer it free. Starbuck
    just started doing that. Or find a hotel that offers internet access
    free. The Motel 6 I stayed in recently did that.

    Michael Vilain, Jun 26, 2010
  15. Justin

    Justin Guest

    I did a bit if research and it seems to be a common problem./ The only
    way to fix it is get better firmware - like dd-wrt. Unfortunately the
    router is so old the files aren't available anymore.

    Justin, Jun 26, 2010
  16. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Thanks for the advice.
    I really appreciate it.
    Not.

    Justin, Jun 26, 2010
  17. Justin

    Guest Guest

    airport express can join a wifi network and bridge it to ethernet.

    it can only extend other airport base stations and only if the owner of
    that base station decides to enable wds, neither of which is likely to
    be true at a hotel.

    Guest, Jun 26, 2010
  18. Justin

    Justin Guest

    If I get an AU, it will convert a wireless AP to an ethernet connection
    - which doesn't do me any good.
    I need to share a wireless connection.

    Justin, Jun 26, 2010
  19. Justin

    Guest Guest

    it will do the reverse too, joining a wireless network and bridging it
    to ethernet.

    Guest, Jun 26, 2010
  20. Justin

    Guest Guest

    i don't think dd-wrt supports this router.

    Guest, Jun 26, 2010