    Express. I'd like to get a wired DSL modem-router to plug into AE that
    will also work with an XP PC. Any suggestions and/or tips would be
    appreciated--many thanks in advance.

    geomorphmarsh, Aug 7, 2006

  2. Any router should work fine. You should put the Airport Express into
    bridging mode -- there's little need for multiple layers of routing and
    NAT in a home network.

    You could also get a wireless router and ditch the Airport Express.
    Most wireless routers have several wired ports, and don't cost too much
    more than wired-only routers.

    Barry Margolin, Aug 8, 2006

  3. geomorphmarsh

    toronado455 Guest

    Hi, I have a seperate question along similar lines. My dad has a G4
    iBook and an Airport Express. Right now he doesn't use the AE at all
    and uses dial-up. I've convinced him to get DSL from Verizon. Verizon
    offers a choice of either a DSL modem or a DSL modem/router combo unit
    with their deal. I was thinking it would be easier to set up if he got
    the plain DSL modem (without the router built-in) since AE is a router
    already right?

    toronado455, Aug 31, 2006
  4. Since your question is separate, was it really necessary to quote the
    barely-related original?
    Right. Also, separating functions makes troubleshooting easier. If you
    think there's a problem with the router, you can connect directly to the
    modem.

    Barry Margolin, Sep 1, 2006
  5. geomorphmarsh

    Bob Harris Guest

    Yes, the Airport Express is a router.

    However, if your Father does end up with another router, it is
    easy to disable the routing functions in the Airport Express so
    that it becomes a Wifi to ethernet bridge.
    Applications -> Utilities -> Airport Admin Utility
    Network tab
    TURN OFF "Distribute IP addresses"
    Now your Airport Express will not play router.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Sep 1, 2006
  6. geomorphmarsh

    AES Guest

    AES, Sep 1, 2006
  7. geomorphmarsh

    toronado455 Guest

    Given the choice of joining this thread with my own related question or
    starting a new thread, I chose to join this thread and quote the
    original.
    I agree with that.

    toronado455, Sep 1, 2006
  8. geomorphmarsh

    toronado455 Guest

    Thanks. In case he does end up with a combo modem/router what about
    doing it the other way around? In other words, leaving the Airport
    Express in router mode and disabling the router function of whatever
    box Verizon sends? Can it be done that way instead?

    toronado455, Sep 1, 2006
  9. geomorphmarsh

    Bob Harris Guest

    Possib

    Bob Harris, Sep 2, 2006
  10. geomorphmarsh

    Bob Harris Guest

    2nd try (for some reason MT-NW posted my previous attempt before I
    had completed what I was going to say)

    In theory you can do this to the Verizon provided router. But I
    do not have exact instructions.

    What you need to look for is disabling DHCP and NAT servers on the
    Verizon provided router. You will just have to explore the web
    interface.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Sep 2, 2006
  11. geomorphmarsh

    toronado455 Guest

    Disabling the DHCP server on *my* Verizon-provided router looks to be a
    simple step. But I don't know how to disable the NAT server or just put
    it into "bridge" mode.

    Before I had DSL I had a Belkin router. My only internet at the time
    was dial-up (the router was used for LAN only at the time). The user
    interface was very easy to understand on that Belkin router. My
    thinking at the time was that I would learn how to use the router
    first, and eventually when I got DSL I would just be connecting a DSL
    modem to that router.

    But when I ordered Verizon DSL, they sent me a Westell 327W wireless
    gateway. It's a combo DSL modem and 4-port router (plus wireless). The
    user interface on the Westell is not nearly as easy to understand as
    the Belkin. Rather than trying to figure out how to configure the
    Westell for use with the Belkin, I just removed the Belkin from the
    mix.

    If Verizon sends my Dad one of these modem/router boxes, clearly it
    would be easier to put the Airport Express into bridge mode than try to
    figure out how to do the same with Verizon supplied device. But it
    would be nice to know that I *could* do it the other way around if I
    wanted to.

    toronado455, Sep 2, 2006