    FYI, Airport works fine with wi-fi for the Web (and I don't want to buy
    any more hardware if I can avoid it :)

    Thanks.

    Guest, Jan 31, 2005

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Okay, partial progress.

    I selected "create network" on my G4 and now my wireless Wallstreet
    (using Cisco 350 Airoport card) recognizes that the network exists in
    "computer-to-computer" mode.

    Now how do I set it up so I can use the desktop printer? I did turn on
    printer sharing on the desktop, but can't figure out how to see the G4
    from the laptop.

    (I have "Panther Unleashed" on order, but would like to get going sooner
    if possible.)

    Thanks.

    Guest, Jan 31, 2005

  3. Guest

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Go to System Preferences->Sharing->Internet pane, select the AirPort
    interface and Start Internet Sharing.

    Tom Stiller, Jan 31, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Go to System Preferences->Sharing->Internet pane, select the AirPort
    Thanks, but I'm not looking for Internet sharing - my new ISP (Verizon)
    provided a wireless router and I'm online without a network from the
    Wallstreet.

    What I would like to be able to do is access the G4's files and USB
    printer. On the G4, I turned on sharing for files and printer but can't
    figure out how to "see" them from the laptop.

    The laptop is using a Cisco utility, with which I was able to select the
    G4 network. However, I still can't see the stuff I want.

    Guest, Jan 31, 2005
  5. Guest

    Tom Stiller Guest

    I'm not sure I understand your network configuration but the normal way
    to share another computer's files and printers is to first enable
    "Personal File Sharing" and "Printer Sharing" on the server computer.

    Once that is done you can select "Connect to Server" from the Finder's
    "Go" menu on the client machine to initiate a file sharing session.

    Shared printers are displayed in the Printer Setup Utility where you can
    check the printer(s) you wish to see displayed as options in an
    application's Print dialog.

    Tom Stiller, Jan 31, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I'm pretty certain don't understand it :)

    But, for the Internet I use a Verizon-provided 4-port hub. I simply
    turned on Airport on my G4 and it recognized the existence of the hub,
    so I selected the ID and I was on line.

    My Wallstreet was similar, although it uses a Cisco 350 PCcard. I
    launched their utility, selected "Computer to access point" and it found
    the Verizon hub, so I'm wireless Web with that, too.

    Now I'd like to wirelessly (I can do it with Ethernet cables) connect to
    my G4 from the Wallstreet.

    On the G4, I chose "create network" in airport and it gave me a network
    name.

    On the Wallstreet, I put the utility into "computer to computer mode"
    but it does not recognize that there is a network on the G4.

    I thought the G4 network would be an Airport network that I could access
    wirelessly, but can't seem to do it. Do I need other software on the
    Wallstreet? Or will it simply never work?

    Thanks.

    Guest, Jan 31, 2005
  7. I'm pretty certain don't understand it :)

    But, for the Internet I use a Verizon-provided 4-port hub. I simply
    turned on Airport on my G4 and it recognized the existence of the hub,
    so I selected the ID and I was on line.

    My Wallstreet was similar, although it uses a Cisco 350 PCcard. I
    launched their utility, selected "Computer to access point" and it found
    the Verizon hub, so I'm wireless Web with that, too.

    Now I'd like to wirelessly (I can do it with Ethernet cables) connect to
    my G4 from the Wallstreet.

    On the G4, I chose "create network" in airport and it gave me a network
    name.

    On the Wallstreet, I put the utility into "computer to computer mode"
    but it does not recognize that there is a network on the G4.

    I thought the G4 network would be an Airport network that I could access
    wirelessly, but can't seem to do it. Do I need other software on the
    Wallstreet? Or will it simply never work?[/QUOTE]

    If both computers are connected to the Verizon supplied device then you
    don't have to connect the G4 and the Wallstreet to each other. They are
    already connected via the device.

    Printer Sharing in Panther will only work with another computer that is
    used Mac OS X 10.2 or 10.3. You have not said what version of the OS you
    have on the Wall Street. They must also be on the same IP subnet.

    Matthew Smith, Jan 31, 2005
  8. Guest

    Tom Stiller Guest

    I'm pretty certain don't understand it :)

    But, for the Internet I use a Verizon-provided 4-port hub. I simply
    turned on Airport on my G4 and it recognized the existence of the hub,
    so I selected the ID and I was on line.

    My Wallstreet was similar, although it uses a Cisco 350 PCcard. I
    launched their utility, selected "Computer to access point" and it found
    the Verizon hub, so I'm wireless Web with that, too.[/QUOTE]

    OK, lets try again. First, is the box supplied by Comcast a router or a
    hub? That is, does it assign IP addresses to the computers that attach
    to it or does it just pass on IP addresses that were assigned by Comcast?

    Assuming the device is a router then each of the computers probably have
    IP addresses something like 192.168.x.y or maybe 10.x.y.z.
    If the above is correct, you don't need to "Create Network" on either
    machine or use "computer-to-computer" mode. You only have to enable
    file sharing on one, or both of them and then you should be able to
    mount the one machine's disks on the other machine.
    If that doesn't get you going, visit <http://www.atpm.com/network/> and
    see if your case is covered in one of the topics discussed therre.

    Tom Stiller, Jan 31, 2005