    Thanks for any help,
    Jeff

    PS. Remove _nospam to reply.

    Jeffrey Harris, Aug 15, 2003

  2. Jeffrey Harris

    Claw Jammer Guest

    I'm not sure, but why buy? Are you a modem user?

    Claw Jammer, Aug 16, 2003

  3. No, I have a dsl connection. I mentioned buying because I thought this was
    the only alternative. ati.com mentions needing the original installation cd
    for radeon 9000/9200/9500/9600/9700/9800 series. However, looking at the
    website again that appears to only be for the DVD module. Will the 7.6 dvd
    version work with the newer MMC?

    Jeff

    Jeffrey Harris, Aug 16, 2003
  4. Jeffrey Harris

    Claw Jammer Guest

    Nah...don't do that. I've been looking over some hardware encoded
    mpeg2's lately, and I'll stack my digital cable MMC encoded SVCD
    captures up against any of them. Once you get the drivers correctly
    installed, it should be trouble free. I have an 8500DV, and it works
    perfectly.

    I would suggest blowing out everything ATI from your add/remove control
    panel applet,rebooting as required. Then download Driver Cleaner 1.9
    from http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

    Install it, and use the pulldown menu to select and clean all ATI
    categories.

    I would really think about upgrading to the new 8.x series MMC, and
    installing the new Catalyst 3.6 drivers. Captures have really improved
    in the 8.x iteration, and there are some exciting new features as well,
    if your CPU has plenty of oomph.

    If you haven't done so, you'll need to install DX9. If you use the PAL
    format, you might want to wait until Microsoft gets the PAL bug
    straightened out of DX9b. If you use NTSC, it won't matter...go ahead
    and install it.

    Once you've installed DX9, you may then do the following...

    Install the WDM capture drivers:

    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/tv-capture-wdm-6-14-10-6207v1.exe

    When prompted to reboot, hit cancel.

    Install the latest Catalyst drivers:

    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-radeon-7-91-030625a-010027c-efg.exe

    Reboot when prompted.

    Install the Control Panel:

    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/control-panel-7-91-030625a-010027c-efg.exe

    Reboot.

    Install the DAO/MDAC Component Package:

    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mmc-8-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe

    No reboot required. In fact, the install window just kind of peters out
    and that's the end of it...no notification.

    Install MMC 8.5:

    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mmc-8-5-0-0.exe

    Reboot as required.

    Install the Remote Wonder driver pack, which is exclusive for MMC 8.5

    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/remote-wonder-1-5-english.exe

    Reboot as required.

    You should be ready to go.

    And of course, make sure your patch cords are kosher.
    Good Luck Jeffrey...let us know how you fair.

    Best Regards,

    CF

    __________________
    AMD Athlon(tm) XP processor 1700+ Palomino
    ESC K7VZA r3
    Mitsubishi SDRAM PC133 1024MB
    8500DV
    MMC 8.5, Remote Wonder 1.5
    Omega rad_w2kxp_omega_2474a
    Hyperion 4.48
    Audigy1 Gamer
    Microsoft Windows XP Workstation (Build 2600)

    Claw Jammer, Aug 16, 2003
  5. Your instructions worked like a champ. Thanks much for your help.

    Jeff

    Jeffrey Harris, Aug 16, 2003
  6. Jeffrey Harris

    Claw Jammer Guest

    You bet.

    Here's another tip I picked up after several months of experimentation:

    If you are capturing mpeg2, turn off the Pulldown feature, and set the
    interlace option to "encode interlaced". Unless you are capturing
    solely to view on your computer, de-interlacing is not really necessary,
    introduces artifacts, and is a waste of CPU. The pulldown hogs CPU time
    too. Making these adjustments resolved a problem I was having with
    jerky motion.

    If you are not using the firewire DV option, you can turn off the DV dip
    switches on the card...that'll save some AGP bandwidth.

    Claw Jammer, Aug 16, 2003
  7. Jeffrey Harris

    tonto Guest

    Hi Claw Jammer.
    I've been following this thread because I too am having problems
    upgradiing my drivers. I have tried all the drivers on the ATI site,
    but have always had to revert to the original CD drivers.
    the WDM seem to install ok
    the radeon drivers don't want to take after restarting.
    I have stripped every ati reference out ot my PC. I've gone into the
    registry and removed all ATI Keys, but one, the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\WDMCapture, won't let me
    delete that one for some reason.

    This all started because every 2-3 months my capture drivers in
    Control Panel/System/Hardware would disapear and I would be unable to
    capture with MMC 7.x. I'd have to do the ati remove and re-install
    thing, so far 6 times.

    If you could shed some light this way it's really a dasperate
    situation at this point.

    tonto, Oct 18, 2003
  8. Jeffrey Harris

    ClawJammer Guest

    That's strange.

    If you have a high bandwidth connection, maybe you can try downloading
    the full driver suite, at http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-catalyst-
    7-94-030917m-011434c.exe

    Or, you could try the new Omega driver suite,

    http://downloads.driverheaven.net/omega/rad_w2kxp_omega_2496b.exe

    You'll need to download WDM drivers seperately for Omega...
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/tv-capture-wdm-6-14-10-6217v1.exe

    Short of that, I would refer you to the Rage3D forum, where alot of ATI
    Gurus and even ATI employees monitor and post.

    http://www.rage3d.com/

    Let us know how you fair.

    Cheers,

    CF

    ClawJammer, Oct 19, 2003
  9. Jeffrey Harris

    tonto Guest

    I'm going to give it a rest for a couple of days and get back at it on
    the weekend.

    Thanks for your response. I've downloaded those drivers and I'll let
    you know how it goes.

    That forum isn't very good unless you don't have a gamer problem.

    DFT
    take out the garbage before ypu send out the mail

    tonto, Oct 21, 2003
  10. Jeffrey Harris

    ClawJammer Guest

    ClawJammer, Oct 21, 2003