    do it?

    Thanks,
    Steve

    Steve Tom, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Not idiotic - it does get a bit complex! I have a SCART adapter on the back
    of my VCR, so I can take the composite video out and audio out from the 9000
    AIW to the VCR in.
    Then it is simply a matter ensuring that the 2nd display is enabled in
    Settings - Advanced - Displays, and I like to use Theatre mode in Settings -
    Advanced - Overlay - Clone Mode Options, to ensure full screen output. (And,
    of course, that VCR is tuned to the correct - AV2 in my case).

    Be aware that you lose quite a lot of quality in converting analogue VCR to
    digital to edit it, and then back to analogue to save to tape.

    I also use http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html to compress to fit about 1
    hour VCR on a CD.

    Good luck with all the leads!
    I've got PC audio to VCR L&R, PC audio to hi-fi L&R, VCR to hi-fi audio L&R,
    PC composite to VCR, VCR composite to PC, and probably some more I've
    forgotten!.

    If I leave PC to VCR composite connected, then on reboot Display 2 is
    automatically enabled and refresh rate on monitor drops to 60Hz - don't know
    why.

    HT,
    Laurence

    Laurence Wilmer, Oct 15, 2003

  3. Steve Tom

    Manu T Guest

    Because the card detects a TV-out connection while doing his hardware scan
    and sets the primary display as TV, later it also finds a live connection to
    the VGA/DVI-port and mimics/clones the TV to that port too. Later on
    software kicks in and sometimes reset primary/secondary display and
    indepandant framerates for both devices (depending on your card). This is
    normal behaviour. You probably also noticed that image is a bit squashed on
    the monitor when this happens and that things (bios info screen,
    startup-menu etc...) appear first on the TV and then on the monitor (do TV's
    have a faster responce time?).

    Regards,

    Manu T

    Manu T, Oct 15, 2003
  4. Thank you for that explanation - OK before drivers load, all clear, but it
    is "when the software kicks in" bit that I have an issue with.

    Specifically:-
    1. If I reboot with the TV connected, why does the ATI control panel NOT
    remember that it was disabled?

    2. Why, when the screen if flickering away at 60Hz refresh, do the Display
    and Adapter tabs still show primary display set to 100Hz?

    OK, it is no great hassle to remember to disconnect the composite out before
    booting, but I shouldn't have to, and it took me a long time initially to
    identify that the cause of the problem.
    But I shouldn't have to - the software should do what it says it is doing,
    and remember the settings I have chosen!

    Laurence

    Laurence Wilmer, Oct 16, 2003
  5. sorry to jump in and mess this theory, I have NO TV hooked up and most of the
    time the card boots up in 60hz, also in 16k colors instead of 32k colors as I
    left it, then when I start the TV function the EZ carp comes up and tells me
    hey would you like to reset it to 32 million?

    so I do it and then go to minitopr and reset it to 100hz, and on the next
    reboot, voila back to 60hz flicker and 16kcolors

    premiersupport, Oct 18, 2003
  6. Steve Tom

    JAD Guest

    the revert to 60hz in XP is recognized and a patch has been made. There was also somebody that found a control that most people
    haven't used. In display properties there is a refresh setting in the advanced controls in 'displays' tab

    AND that link list is really getting annoying...im sure you get that allot.

    JAD, Oct 18, 2003