    had a 300Watt power supply, and thought maybe it was too low, so bought a 350W
    and it still does the same thing.

    Does anyone have any ideas of what he should check? We're both at a loss...

    Tim, Oct 4, 2003

  2. Tim

    DaveW Guest

    I'm wondering if it is a 'cheap' 350 Watt power supply, that when under
    load, such as also driving the 9800, can't actually provide a 'real' 350
    watts. Try using a high quality power supply, such as Antec, and see if
    that fixes it. (It also matters as to how many other drives, etc. he is
    running in the case simultaneously.)

    DaveW, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Thanks for responding! :)

    Well the thing is, even with his new one he got today, and same goes for his old
    one, he unplugged power to his hard drive and cd-rom drive (he has no floppy
    drive), and the system still did it. So, the video card was the only thing in
    the system that was drawing the extra power. SURELY in that case, it would have
    supplied enough power....

    Tim, Oct 4, 2003
  4. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Oh, I failed to mention that it is indeed an Antec

    http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_powerSupply.php?ProdID=25352

    That is the one he purchased.

    Thanks again

    Tim

    Tim, Oct 4, 2003
  5. Tim

    JB Guest

    loss...<

    I am not familiar with that motherboard but recommend you verify that AGP
    voltage jumper settings are correct.

    JB, Oct 4, 2003
  6. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Yup, it supports 4x/8x AGP with 1.5v....... compliant with the AGP 3.0
    specifications. And, of course, this card is an 8x AGP card working with both 8x
    AGP and AGP PRO slots...

    I have the exact same card in my ASUS P4C800-E and my Pentium-4 3GHz :) But, I
    haven't had that problem. I have a lot more than he does in my system and have
    the same power supply too (1 DVD-ROM, 1 DVD-RW, 1 CD-RW, 1 CD-ROM, 2 hard
    drives, 4 fans, floppy drive, and more)

    Tim, Oct 4, 2003
  7. Tim

    GTD Guest

    Did you try swapping your cards? (put your card in his system, and his
    card in your system). May rule out (or in) a defective card. Check
    bios updates also for his motherboard.

    GTD, Oct 4, 2003
  8. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Thanks....... believe me, if I lived closer, I'd be doing this. This is a
    friend that is a little ways from me......

    Just trying to make sure we've covered all the bases untill he requests an RMA
    From the place he bought it from.........

    He did flash the latest bios for it to no avail.... :'(

    Tim, Oct 4, 2003
  9. Tim

    Tim Guest

    He let one of his friend takes it to his house and test it in his PC........ it
    works. So, it has to be the motherboard. Kinda sad though, he just bought that
    motherboard today! ........

    Tim, Oct 4, 2003
  10. Tim

    GTD Guest

    Yea, that's a bummer. I don't know how new that motherboard is, but
    I'd look around and see if anyone else has that same problem, and see
    if a bios fix is expected.

    GTD, Oct 4, 2003